Translate

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pronunciations 103013

               I was taking Gabi to school when she suggested that I be quite. I do often make unusual noises and occasionally try to sing during or trip to school. She was correct I should be quite more often than not.
               During my quite period I started thinking about words and how they are pronounced. As an example I would usually say “pernounced” not “pronounced”.
There are many words that I have and do say incorrectly and even though I do not always present a vast vocabulary I do usually understand the words other use.  
The incorrect pronunciation of words is a major factor in my less than stellar ability to spell. I am thankful for spell check but I must admit that I intermittently stump spell check with a word I am trying to spell.
The following is a word I misuse and abuse even to this day.
               Tar; a black sticky substance use on roofs and roads
               Car Tar; a round device that attaches to a wheel of a car
               Radio Tar; a device to hold antennas above the ground
               I’m Tarred; meaning I need rest
               Tarred and Feathered; a method of disgracing a person in the olden days
Another word I mispronounce is “figure”; I most often utter the word as “figer”.
               In Missouri we would say, “I figered he would …
Figer can be a number or representation of…        
The lady’s figer was… 
A figer of speech is the use of a word or a phrase, which transcends its literal interpretation.               (I got those words from a dictionary)
 
Well, I assume that is, “enough” for now. Did you notice the parentheses around the word enough? Why is the word spelled, “e n o u g h” but pronounced as, “enuff”? 
 
I have always wanted to learn Spanish but now that I think of it, maybe I should learn American English first.
 
I am tarred and I figer you have had enuff so I will stop for now.
 
Have a day filled with positives.
 
Don Ford
 

No comments: