Translate

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A project to keep me busy 11.11.13

            While at the local Cracker Barrow enjoying my Sunday morning Brunch I came up with an idea. We had been seated near the checker board and there were children playing checkers.

            Everyone knows I would never criticize the way a person was dressed, unless they deserved the criticism; many do deserve it.

Naturally when the young lady, mid 20s, dressed in cowgirl boots (notice I didn’t say cowboy because they were on a woman) and a very short dress walked past, I was not about to make a negative comment.  Most men, even older men enjoy seeing a well-dressed young lady in a short dress and cowgirl boots. 

Sorry, my mind wondered for a minute there; back to my original thought. The kids playing checkers cause me to think of a project that could keep me busy for a couple hours and get the checker board out of my office.

Why do we still call it an office, there is no business done in this room.  This is my safe room, when my wife is cleaning the house or, as she has been doing for the last few days, putting up Christmas trees and decorations, it is my retreat.

Back to the story; The wait staff brought our food and we had begun to consume our lunch. I had a mouth full of meat loaf when the lady asked, (the waitress not the young lady with the short dress and boots, try to stay with me and get you mind off the boots)sweet?” I could not say anything because I had a mouth full of that delicious meat loaf. All I could do was shake my head no, and she walked away.

It is my opinion, all wait staff are trained to only ask questions when the customer has their mouth full. This is done in an effort to save time as they expect the customer to nod their head and not engage them in a conversation.

A minute or so later she returned with a pitcher of tea. I then asked her, “When you said sweet were you asking if I was sweet or the tea?” This young lady was obviously working for tips when she replied, “you of course, I knew you tea was un-sweet”.

Somehow the subject of food causes me to deviate from the original subject.

I will attempt to get back to the checker board idea. As some of you may know, I made a checker board out of what I believed was an old cutting board. It actually turned out to be a good checker board and we have had a few games on it.

I came up with the idea of making a set of folding legs for the checker board. It would make it easier for senior citizens to play by having the board up off the floor but the younger people could still lay it on the floor and play because the legs would fold flat.

You are possibly thinking, “How does he come up with these great ideas”. It is easy for me since there isn’t much of anything important in my head to keep the ideas out.

            The above hand drawn image depicts my vision of the legs and how they would be mounted to the checker board. The drawing may be too technical for some so if you have questions send them to me and I will get to them in the order received. 

In an effort to provide full disclosure, I got the idea from some old wooden TV dinner tables in our garage. TV dinners, do they still have TV dinners? I use to like the Salisbury steak.

I have run out of time for this posting and I will end now.

If there are no further posting on this subject, you will know I have decided the project is too difficult or more likely, too costly for a retired person on a fixed income.

Have an excellent day!

Don Ford

No comments: