Translate

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Old tiller 01.31.17

                I have this old tiller and it must be at least 25 years old. It was at my son’s home, so I decided I would retrieve it and if the weather was to turn nice, I would till my garden spot.
                I arrived at my youngest son’s house to pick up the tiller. I put some gas in the tank and tried to start the tiller, but it would not start. We pushed the tiller onto the trailer and secured it in place. I drove home with the old tiller hoping I would be able to get the quarter century old tiller, to run again.
                It is true that I am a master when it comes to repairing this senior tiller. The unit stayed on the trailer overnight. The next day, after a nice lunch with my first wife, and a short nap, I proceeded to remove said tiller from the trailer and push it into the garage. Using all my knowledge about cleaning a spark plug, and I must say that plug was clean, I then use my secret weapon. I have over the years learned, when you have a hard to start motor, whether a two or four cycle motor, after cleaning the spark plug or even when installing a new plug, that heating the spark end of the plug, with a propane torch, will often provide the needed extra kick to start a stubborn motor. If you try this, the entire plug will be hot, don’t touch it with your hand.
                Well, that is what I did to this old tiller and it sprang to life on the 3rd pull. Now that I had it running I decided to add more gas, and till the garden. Photos of before and after, click to enlarge. 
              
                The initial tilling will allow the garden spot to absorb water easily if it rains.
Just because we are old, me and the tiller,
doesn’t me we can’t work!

Don Ford

No comments: