Translate

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Play day 01.17.17

                Yesterday was a holiday and many people, but not the retired senior citizens, had the day off. You hadn’t thought about retired people never getting the day off, had you! On any given holiday, a retired person continues doing the same things they always do. Let’s change the subject before I become upset and begin to consider getting a part time job.
                Let’s talk about play day yesterday. The grandees were here as school was out. Alex and I went shopping, Gabi didn’t want to go so she stayed and kept granny occupied. After our shopping excursion, Alex and I went outside where he challenged me to a kick ball game. Needless to say, I won! The final score was 5 to 2.
                He then wanted to play hide and seek. He had a bright orange shirt on which made it easy to see him. At one point he was hiding behind the big tree. I walked through the yard talking to myself (so he would know where I was, not because I am old and senile) I acted as if I did not see him. As I walked all around the yard he stayed hidden on the opposite side of the tree, from me. 
                When I walked around the shed I stopped making noise. I leaned up against the shed being very quiet. After about 30 seconds of quiet, Alex called out Papaw where are you? I continued the silence treatment. He called out again and I said nothing. I could hear that he was getting closer and finally he looked around the corner of the shed. I said you found me, now it is your turn to hide. He looked at me as if I was a, “silly senior citizen”, as he began explaining that he was hiding, and I was supposed to be looking for him!
                I asked him, why was I hiding, and why did you find me, if you were supposed to be hiding? He said, let’s do it again and you look for me. I was forced to close my eyes and count to 10 as Alex ran for the front yard. Yes I cheated and I peaked, how else would I know where he went.
                Seeing him run into the front yard I decided to cheat again and I went through the house to the front door. Alex was hiding behind a chair on the front porch, so when I stepped out of the door and said I found you, he explained that going through the house was not fair.
                Alex decided that we should get the drone out and let him fly it. He is somewhat wild when he flies the drone but for a six year old he does good. We flew it until the battery ran down and it needed to be recharged. We also decided he would fly the drone when his dad came to pick them up. 
                It was about then when he wanted to be pushed on the tire swing. It should be said, he will not push me but he will let me push him. After about 10 minutes of swinging him, I explained that I was tired, he decided that we should get something to drink, and we sat in the chairs near the garage door resting and drinking.
                Alex’ attention changed from drinking to wanting to play checkers. He and granny got the checker board out and I procured the checkers. Granny advise Alex during the first part of the game and then she returned to the house to check on Gabi. Alex and I finished the game one on one. I don’t like to admit it but he actually won the game, fair and square. The game got to a point, where ever I moved, he would jump me.
                Dave came to pick the kids up and he parked along the curb. Alex and I got the drone out and Alex was flying it. At one point he flew it into the side of his dad’s vehicle. He then flew it all around our heads and then into the front wall of the house. It was about then that we stopped flying the drone.
                I have the feeling he will be wanting a drone for his birthday.

All in all, a nice play day!

Don Ford
               

No comments: