Translate

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Trying 01.16.17

                I suggest you may want to skip reading this posting, it isn’t interesting but the photos are good!
                You may have heard the old saying, “you can’t teach an old retired senior citizen new tricks”. As true as that statement may be, this old retired senior citizen is attempting to, (key word is, Attempting”), if not learn, maybe re-learn something. 
                I purchased a TNC (terminal node controller) sometimes called a radio interface. This device will allow a ham radio operator to communicate using various digital methods. In short, using your computer through this radio interface (TNC) you can send and receive messages without ever talking. One such method is CW, which means. “Continuous Wave”, it uses Morris Code.
                I did learn how to send and receive Morris Code many years ago. In the olden days one had to be able to receive at least 13 words per minute in order to get an Advanced Amateur Radio License. I did not like using code then, or now. Using the TNC, I can receive message in code and read it on the computer screen. I then type a message into the computer and it is sent in code through my radio.
                I actually have an old TNC, it is only about 23 years old, and so I decided I might want to get a newer one. It was supposed to come with all the wires, power supply and instructions. There was several wires and all but one worked. Since my computer does not have a 9 pin connector (RS-232) I had to go to the radio shack to purchase a wire that is USB to RS-232. It cost about one third the cost of the TNC.
                The software that came with the TNC is free and has no instructions. I am trying to learn to use the software without any help. It is all trial and error, lots of errors. I have kind of learned how to use it on CW and have some success with one other mode. It is slow going.
                The manufacture has a software package available, which they sell for 150 dollars. That software is double the price of the TNC. Nice way to treat a customer.
                I need to contact one of the hams that use these type devices.
                I went to a club meeting last year and was going to rejoin the club. I did not make the next meeting do to unavoidable situation. Not one person from the club tried to contact me to encourage me to return, I guess they have better things to do. There are other clubs so I may need to look into one of them. When you are a club member you have lots of associates to learn from.
Two photos that have nothing to do with the above posting, but they are interesting.
 
Interesting that the aliens needed a square hole in the clouds to see what I was doing.

Look at the clouds, is there a tornado?

Have an outstanding day!
Don Ford 

No comments: