Translate

Monday, May 2, 2016

Winter returns 05.02.16


            What the heck happened? It is Monday May 2nd and a good friend’s birthday. It seems as if winter has returned to Hewitt, TX. This morning as I normally do, I went out the front door to retrieve the morning newspaper for my present wife. I was slapped in the face by a north wind and temperatures that must have been close to freezing. Hurrying and shivering the entire time I was able to procure the paper and make it back to the front door. 
            Entering the residence I was once again in a warm environment. I decided to get a hot coffee and then check the weather on the local TV station. I was right, the temp was down to 57 degrees and the high for the day was predicted to only reach 70. What happen to the warm spring we were having?

            Not normal for me!
            Sunday my first wife and I went to our usual place for Brunch. After that we went to Lowes to look at commodes. Sadly they said they would have to order the commode we were asking about. We then ventured to Home Depot and got the same information. A week to ten days to get a new commode was the response from both retailers.
            I decided, to make one more attempt at repair. I purchased a fat wax ring and a new water control for the tank. My spouse of 47 years wasn’t sure that I was spending this twelve dollars wisely, but she did not forbid the purchase.
            Arriving home about 2:00 pm I quickly changed clothes and headed to the recliner for a nap. Naps are very helpful when you are faced with an enormous amount of work.
            Nap completed, I sprang from my chair and began gathering the necessary tools for another attempt at, “De-leaking the commode”. I had, earlier in the day, watched some videos on U-tube. I was able to get a couple ideas there, and a friend had suggested the oversized wax ring during an earlier conversation.
            Making a short story long, I actually followed the directions from the package, not something I normally do, and I used the suggestions from friends and u-tube.
            As I was into the final stage of connecting the water supply line, I had suggested to my present wife that now would be a good time to pray. I had already asked for guidance from above. 
            Water supply connected, I slowly turned it on. Water was entering the tank and bowl very slowly. Observing no leaks, I then turned it on all the way, and a rush of water began filling the tank and bowl.
            Tank filled, I was ready for the Flush test. I needed to flush the toilet to see if it leaks at floor level.
            As I tried to extend my hand, to the lever that activates the flush valve, fear enveloped my whole body. My hand shaking, my hold body tense, I touched the lever and somehow was able to gather enough force to activate the lever. There was a sudden rush of water causing the commode to spring alive. Water was running from the tank into the bowl and the water in the bowl was spinning as it went down the drain.
            I had placed a paper towel on the floor next to the area that had leaked in the past. I hesitated to look down, but then forced myself to observe the paper towel. I hope you have never had to put as much effort into a repair job as I have on this one, and then find that the leak was still there.

            After my repair attempt I proceeded outside and acquired the lawn mower. I mowed the front yard twice, yes that is normal, mow it from street to house and back then change directions mowing alongside the street. I did not use the string trimmer as time was short and I wanted to mow the back yard also.
            I went to the back yard and began mowing and I found a large limb that had broken out of a tree and fell behind the kid’s fort, hiding it from view. It had been there several days as the leaves were already dried up.
            Back yard is now complete, except for the string trimming, which I will do this week as it is supposed to be dry for a whole week. I grabbed a sandwich and some chips and had a light repast.

            What?    I thought I did!    Are you sure?     Oh, yes you are right, I didn’t!

            I have just been reminded, that I did not, “clearly state”, whether the commode leaked or not. In an effort to rectify that non-clear statement,   Thanks to suggestions from friends, U-tube and Prayer, “NO, the commode did not leak”!       

May you have an excellent May!

Don Ford

No comments: