Translate

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Calculus 05.19.16


            This wonderfully instructive and may I say, well written and composed article is definitely not about Calculus. For that one reader who knows what Calculus is, stop being a, “smarty pants!” For the rest of us, Calculus is about, The Rate of Change and Accumulation.
Having only a high school education, a much simpler definition could be, “Adding, Subtracting and Totals”.
This one of a kind article, is about one of the most terrifying words in the English language, “Cookulus” which is similar to Calculus but has a totally different meaning. I am not sure of the origin of the word Cookulus, it possibly originated in Swamp East Missouri.
It is a word, that when use by your spouse, alerts you that you are in trouble. You will immediately try to rectify the situation by saying you are sorry and possibly getting on your knees and begging to be forgiven.
Those of you who are not married, and not living with someone, you do not need to worry about this word.
I just thought of a photo I took the other day and it is of the cactus at the north end of the Homesteads main building (aka our house). This cactus has over the years collected items from the neighbor boy and his friends. As an example, if a ball gets into the cactus, they have learned to leave it there as the cactus does have a couple stickers.
  Click on photo to enlarge.
            The cacti is in bloom and I thought it was pretty, so when I was manicuring the lawn the other day I paused for a moment to enjoy the beauty of this hurt filled, painful plant. You should not notice the oak tree growing in the center of the photo! 
            We have a leaking water line and I dug down to the pipe and found the leak yesterday. The leak is not bad but it is a leak. I called the plumber yesterday and they said they would come out today. Guess what, it is raining today, do you think they will still come out?

            Well I guess that is it for now, I hope you have a wonderful…        what?
You want to know what?                 Oh, yes I can do that.

I thought you had already understood the meaning of Cookulus. As I stated earlier, I am not sure of the origin of the word and it may be from anywhere. The word is used as a threat or promise! It most often is used when you have messed up real bad and your spouse says, “I am going to Cookulus”, or it can be stated as, “I am going to “Cook You Less”.

I hope you don’t hear, Cookulus, today!

Don Ford 

No comments: