Translate

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Supervisory position 05.24.16

            This afternoon I was again demonstrating that I am an outstanding wood butcher. I had started out to cut some tree limbs shortly after lunch, when I was surprised that it had started to rain. I decided to watch some TV and forced myself to take a nap.
Later in the day after the grass had dried up, I decided to try again to cut a few limbs. Not wanting to get too involved, I decided to use the manual pole saw, rather than the gas saw, and cut just a few limbs.
            I had cut several smaller limbs and stacked them near the trailer, then I cut additional limbs. As I was pulling some of the additional limbs to the pile, I noticed Charlie hiding in the pile. At that time, I thought he was hoping for a bird to come close. When I tossed the limbs on the pile Charlie exited the limbs in a hurry. He went to the tree where I was cutting limbs and climbed up to one of the higher limbs and just stood there, looking at me. At this time I thought he might be having fun, I would later learn his true reason for being in the area.
            Charlie doesn’t seem to be bothered by heights, and he didn’t say anything bad about my work. He did get down before I started cutting again. He then went to the second floor of the kid’s fort and lay in a corner, where he could watch my every effort, at a safe distance.
  click on photo to enlarge.
            I cut a large limb with about a 6 inch base. It broke loose from the tree but did not fall. I grabbed a smaller limb on the bottom and pulled attempting to get it down from the tree. All of a sudden it began to fall, toward me.
I, being safety minded, had pre-planned a possible escape route, and I had to use it. Quickly this old retired person ran a total of 5 steps, which took me out of harm’s way. The limb fell to the ground with a heavy thud.
            Charlie then stood up and gave me the look. You know the look, the one that indicates, “I had prepared properly and safely”. NO, not the look that says, you almost bought the farm dummy! I should not accept your cynical questions? 
I am glad that Charlie was concerned for my wellbeing, and felt that someone should supervise my work, he is a good supervisor.
I then decided it was time for me to be sitting in my rocker waving at the passersby. I put my tools away and walked to the rocker.

                        The End

The above tale is totally true, if you don’t believe me, ask Charlie.

May all your supervisors be as vigilant!

Don Ford

No comments: