Translate

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Nap outside... 12.06.15

            It all started many years ago, when I was younger and more energetic. As you may understand I was forced, I mean allowed to work very hard for little pay. In those olden days I would work so hard that if, or when I was allowed to take a break, I would often take a brief nap during the break. Waking from the short and refreshing nap I would be re-energized and ready for the rest of the day.
What caused me to think of the olden days? Let me explain.  After brunch today my present spouse demanded, I mean asked me, if I would get out of the house while she was putting the last Christmas tree up.
Not wanting to suffer the wrath of my spouse, I obeyed her order, I mean, I took her suggestion and left the room.
What to do was my question. I could go outside in the unforgiving cold, 62 degree day, possibly suffering from frost bite. Well I guess it would not be that cold outside, after all, I do have a jacket I could put on.
I was listening to a radio operator in Indiana the other morning and the Ham was saying they had fog and freezing temperatures which was causing many problems for those who were trying to drive. 
Once I made it outside I found it to be rather nice. I took the box that had held the last Christmas tree, out to the shed for storage. As I walked through the vast area behind the Ford Homestead I could not help but notice that the back yard needed to be vacuumed. Yes that tree was beginning to drop those darn little leaves onto the ground. I decided to get the vacuum out and remove some if not all the leaves. Vacuum being defined as, “my lawn mower with a grass catcher”.
I put in a full hour of walking behind that mower, back and forth across the landscape until I had filled two bags of the pesky leaves.
I was filling fulfilled, after such tedious work. I made my way to the old rocker near the garage door, where I was able to drag my old body into the chair, in more or less an upright and sitting position.
I was able to rock back and forth for a while when I was suddenly overtaken with fatigue. I instantaneously knew I would need to allow my weary eyes to go shut, just for a few moments. The sun was shining brightly, warming my back which I found to somehow be very relaxing. The wind had subsided, I leaned back, allowing my cap to cover my eyes.
Within seconds I was peacefully unaware of my surroundings.
I have no idea how long I was in this state of relaxation (aka Sleep) but when I awoke I was refreshed and feeling restored to my energetic self. I decided to get the lap top and bring it outside and begin to write this partial history of my day.
Now you know how I got started writing this interesting, and may I say, fact filled article about my activities.
While I was vacuuming the back landscape of The Homestead, I found the remains of a lizard that Charlie had executed the other day. I placed it on the fire place cover so I could get a photo. I wish Charlie would not kill these large lizards, but you know cats, they never listen to their humans.
Still writing about the cats but a different subject, I have explained in the past that there are small butterflies that aggravate the cats. These butterflies will actively agitate the cats causing the cats to chase them.
Up to now the butterflies were the winners and the cats were the losers. Yesterday, Molly took out one of these insects. The darn butterfly landed on the small table next to my rocker. Molly attempted the kill missing the bug but almost knocking over my cup of coffee.
I moved the cup of coffee just as the butterfly attempted another landing. That was the insect’s mistake. Just as the bug attempted its landing, Molly pounced! Molly (1) butterfly (0).
Different subject:
My first wife and I went to the Company Christmas party Saturday evening. We were able to see some old friends and make some new friends. The food was good and after the meal there was a drawing for presents.
My name was drawn to win a gift. I won a wall heater.
Now I wasn’t sure what I would do with a wall heater, especially since it was gas and we do not have gas at the Ford Homestead.
Well that statement about gas is not totally true, we have gas, or I should say I have gas, when we have chili or white beans with cornbread (good stuff)!
Anyway I had won so I was happy. After all the drawings were over a young man approached me asking if I was interested in a trade. He had won a chain saw, but he would rather have had the wall heater. I accepted his offer to trade. Pretty good, I had no use for the heater and I was given a chain saw that I do have a use for.
I guess Christmas came early for me, again (new truck)!

The sun is going down and it is getting chilly out here, I will stop for now and go inside to see if my first wife has finished the Christmas tree.

We hope you have a pleasant and safe week!

Don Ford 

No comments: