Translate

Sunday, December 13, 2015

A Christmas Story 12.14.15


                If you are not familiar with the TV movie, “A Christmas Story”, (did you notice how I subliminally drew your attention to the title using colored fonts) then you have not spent Christmas Eve at The Ford Homestead! This now considered to be a cult classic TV movie, is shown each Christmas eve at the Fords of Hewitt, usually after we have our now traditional Mexican early repast.
            The TV show sometimes takes a back seat to opening gifts. No, it is not the grandees that insist on the present exchange, it is the adult kids that can’t seem to wait.
 The female leg lamp, sits by my chair year round, and is a reminder of this wonderful TV adventure, “A Christmas Story”.
            Speaking of an adventure, let me tell you of a recent adventure I had.
            What? No, it isn’t the fact that I vacuumed my entire yard again yesterday and this morning the leaves are back covering the front yard again. Please, hold your questions until the end of my tale.
            I have had a few problems with my “windows phone”. The term, “few”, may be a misnomer.
I like that word, “misnomer”. It is not a part of my normal vocabulary, but it seems to fit in well with the written word. It is said that people are often judged by their vocabulary, which is the vocabulary they normally use, not the vocabulary that they understand.
Smart phone may not be the best name for these devices. If the darn thing was smart, why didn’t it fix itself, or at least tell me, how to fix it! I will attempt to keep this account as short as possible.
Something happened to my device, and it would no longer display a key pad. Even though I could still send text messages and emails from the phone using voice to text, I could not correct errors in the text without a key pad.
It is obvious to me that I had touched the wrong setting and messed things up. Yes, like those fine, “career politicians”, I take full responsibility for the outcome!
I spent better than an hour looking at each setting for each application, to no avail.
I consulted with my technical adviser, and he offered several suggestions. All were good suggestions but I could not make them work. I slept on the problem overnight.
The next morning I again started checking each and every setting on each app. To say I was irritated, upset, mad as heck, would not explain my true feelings. I even explained to my present spouse that I have considered using my fine adjusting tool, “the two pound sledge”.
As a last resort I was going to do a hard reset, which would put everything back to factory settings. I pushed the button up popped, “are you sure”, I clicked yes.  It then wanted me to enter my password. I did not have a key pad to enter the password, the smart phone didn’t understand, “that was the problem”.
At this point,Divine intervention came into play”. I began to see it as funny! I knew I had done something to cause the problem but did not know what it was. Laughing at myself I decided to get away from the problem and vacuum the yard.
The yard vacuumed, shower taken, clean clothes on, I headed to my recliner for a nap. The nap did not come, instead I reached for that darn phone and I began to change the settings on any app that might be related to the key board.
I turned off the blue tooth and for some reason the key pad came back. Wow I had a key pad! Happy as a lark, I had corrected the problem.
I decided to try some other things to make sure they were working. To my surprise my camera would not work. Now what had I done?
I put in two hours sitting in my recliner, needing to take a nap but the nap would not come, trying to get everything working.
Then another “Divine intervention”, turn the darn thing off, and back on was the thought that popped into my head, maybe the phone will do a soft reset.   J
Everything works again, I am happy!
The first photo taken to verify that the camera still works!              Yay!
For a full report of this entire event, book in a hard back copy, and the video to go with it, send $178.26 to the Ford Homestead Foundation, mark the check, “Fone Repair”.
            No I did not spell it wrong, that is the way I wanted to spell Fone!
Now is the time for questions?
            You want to know what the story has to do with the TV show, “A Christmas Story”. “Nothing, it is My Christmas Story and a photo of one of Donna’s Christmas trees. You need to stay focused on what I have written!


May all your devices work as expected!

Don Ford

No comments: