Translate

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Selfie is a tool 12.10.15


            My first wife was making sweets for the Christmas holidays, she was working at the kitchen sink when she announced that the faucet was loose. Naturally, I accused her of being too rough when turning the water on and off, I believe that is when she explained that I would not be enjoying any home cooking in the foreseeable future.
            I, being the man of the house, told her in no uncertain terms, that I would fix the faucet as soon as she finished her work at the sink.
                Getting under the sink is not an easy task for a younger person, and it can be outright impossible for a retired senior.
As you know, I am on a fixed income and could not expect my spouse of 46 years, to work longer hours at picking up cans from the side of the road, in order to pay for a plumber.
Being very intelligent, and somewhat lazy, I began to consider my options. The idea hit me like a ton of feathers. Yes, I know the old saying is, “like a ton of bricks”, but I am too old to be hit by bricks, even if they are imaginary.
What is this marvelous idea, you ask. Let me tell you! I decided rather than crawl under the sink I would take a photo of the situation. I could then determine which tools I would need, and only make one crawl in under the sink.
I can see that you are getting ahead of me.
Yep, I used the selfie stick with my windows phone, to view the work area. It worked, the faucet is now repaired. Not bad for a retired, senior nap taker!
What? Yes I said the phone was a windows phone. You are like others, that kind of look at me funny, when I say I have a windows phone.
Why windows phone, it all goes back to being on a fixed income. A phone like mine can be purchased relatively inexpensively. A phone like yours would take a month of non-stop can retrieval by my present spouse, just to make a down payment.

Different subject and different day;
The weather has been spring like her at “The Ford Homestead”, which has encouraged me to get outside, relax and enjoy retirement, I mean, “work vigorously in the yard”.
Vigorously may be defined as, “walking behind the lawn mower while it vacuums the leaves from the yard”. I like to vacuum every few days so the amount I am picking up, is just a few bags each session. If I wait until they all fall from the trees the leaves will be in piles and the lawn mower don’t like to work that hard.
Yes, I consider the lawnmowers feelings when I use it in yard work. I have even thought about changing the oil in the lawn mower before today’s conquest.
Now that you have swayed my attention to motor oil, I will present you with this senior’s opinion (I was going to say a senior’s view, but since I will be talking about sight, I thought the word view would be inappropriate”, of the lubricant known as, “motor oil”. For this senior it is difficult for me to see the amount of oil on the dip stick, when the oil is new and almost clear. Dirty old oil is much easier to see on the dip stick.
I have very good vision but that small amount of clear oil is difficult to see. Someone needs to invent new oil that looks dirty (that isn’t going to happen) or a dip stick that makes it easier to see the new oil.
Oil changed I began the tedious task of vacuuming the yard, see photo below.
            As you can see, I have made a couple passes through the front yard at The Ford Homestead. I think my vacuum works well. It took a couple hours to vacuum the entire yard front and back. In the middle I did stop and have lunch which was provided by my youngest son David. When Dave makes enchiladas he often makes a few extra for his senior Dad, and Dad’s first wife.
            The lawn chores completed I took a shower and prepared to go to town.
I have been wanting to find a stationary exercise bike to use on the cold days. I could stay inside the garage where it is somewhat warmer, and out of the wind, rain snow and ice and still get my daily exercise.
OK, I made up the snow and ice part, so my northern readers will not feel left out.   
Yes, before that one person asks, there are some good people that live north of Dallas.
What, why north of Dallas?
If it wasn’t for all these questions I might get something done, other than pound on this key board.
I was told by a friend who shall remain nameless, Dalton, many years ago, that anyone who lives north of Dallas is a Yankee.
Now that I think of this, that statement is kind of odd. That unnamed person’s family came, I believe, from the Oklahoma area. Last time I looked Oklahoma is north of Dallas.
Let me know if I am wrong Dalton unnamed person! 
It is so easy to get off the subject. I have wanted an exercise bike but being on a fixed income I can’t afford a real nice one.  I have decided to go to the good will store today and see it they might have a used one at a price I could afford. I just realized my last name is in the word, afford?
I have a bicycle but I don’t want to be out in the rain or cold weather on a bike. Yes I know how to ride a bike!
Back from town, we are now the proud owner of an exercise bike. No the good will did not have one, we are now in debt again.
Thursday morning arrives and I am surprised with what I saw on the grounds at The Ford Homestead. The yard was vacuumed of all leaves yesterday. This morning the wind was blowing and the leaves are back.
The grandees arrived with some time to spare prior to leaving for school and decided to make a pile of leaves that they could jump in. No, it was not my idea. Yes there was enough leaves to make a pile.
Above raking leaves, below in the leaves!
            Kids play all day long, but a grandpa’s work is never done! I just made that up and no there is not another version!

We hope you enjoy the day!

Don Ford

No comments: