Translate

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Really? 12.22.15

I have heard my grandees reply with the word, “Really?”, after I have made profound statements. In truth I have heard some young adults use the same expression, so I thought it would be proper, for this more than fun filled, and may I say well written report, about changing times.
This morning after my strenuous exercise program, I was recuperating in my old rocker, while enjoying a cup of coffee. The coffee was hot and good. I had even put a small amount of a flavored cream in the cup, just to give it a little bit of Christmas flavor. 
As I sat there contemplating the worlds situation, an old Christmas carol came to mind. I can’t recall all the words but it was running through my head over and over.
As this part of the song played over and over in my head, I then remembered a cartoon I had seen many years ago in a magazine, which always had a fold out photo of a nude female subject.
The cartoon was of a male subject, dressing himself in a female’s clothing as he sang, “Dawn we now our gay apparel”. At that point in my life, gay meant happy. I did not understand the meaning of that cartoon until years later.
Before that one person asks, no I did not look at the nude photos of the young and pretty female subjects, I liked the articles and cartoons. 

I was able to get that thought out of my mind, as I decided to replace that song with another Christmas song, “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas, just like the one I use to know”. That is when I wondered, is that song about white people having a Christmas? My goodness, is there any Christmas song that is good for everyone?  
            I decided to get to a politically correct Christmas song, “Jingle Bells”, jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way, oh what fun it is to ride in a one horse open slay, dashing through the snow, in a one horse open slay, over the hills we go, laughing all the way, bells on bob tails ring, making spirits bright…
Let’s consider those lyrics for a moment. It occurred to me they had an old horse pulling that slay, in the cold winter snow, most likely at night. The poor horse was not walking because it states they were, “dashing through the snow”, which means they were running the old horse, and they were probably hitting the horse with some type of whip, just to keep him going.
The song states that they were going over the hills of snow, which means it was much harder for that old horse to pull the sled full of people up the hills of snow.
Have you thought about this part of the song, “Bells on Bobtails ring”? A Bobtail means they have cut off part of the horse’s tail, (usually just hair) then they have put bells on the horse’s tail. Think of it for a moment, every time the horse would swing its tail, it would not only ring the bells, it would also hit the poor old horse with the bells, which had to hurt.
That is animal cruelty!  
Believe me, the horse would have rather been in a warm stall with some grain to eat.
Not being one who wants to give up, I considered another song, a fun song about a reindeer, Rudolf! I believed this song should be fun and not be offensive in any way.
Oh contraire my friends!
Right off the bat I realized the song was about a less fortunate reindeer, which had a handicap. As the song states, “he had a very shiny nose, and it glowed”. This handicap was not accepted or over looked by the other deer, “they laughed and called him names”! The song even states, “They (being the other reindeer) would not let him play in any reindeer games”! Do you have any idea how it feels to be left out, not wanted, and made fun of?
When they had no other alternative, Santa came and asked for his help. What did they want him to do, not play in their games, instead, they made him work, pulling a slay all night.
I now realized that many Christmas songs were filled with politically incorrect actions or statements and prejudices. I decided, I could no longer have these songs in my head!
So I gave up on Christmas songs and decided to think about something else. What popped into my head, mistletoe and a kiss from a pretty girl? 
Then it hit me, mistletoe is a parasitic plant, which attaches itself to other plants, usually trees, and will eventually destroy other plants. Who was the genius that decided a parasite should be used to get someone to kiss them?
Now that I have given up on songs and mistletoe, I started to think about the story, “The night before Christmas”. When I realized that this story has a rodent in it, (not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse). I gave up and decided to think about something other than modern day Christmas subjects.
            Finally, I started thinking about the true meanings of Christmas. I began to have happy thoughts, with a smile on this well weathered, senior’s face, as I thought about the birth of Christ, the true meaning of Christmas.

Different subject:
            It was 60 degrees this morning at 6:30 when I began my strenuous exercise program, it doesn’t feel much like December and I am not complaining. The grandees and I washed my truck in the 70 degree midday sun.  


I hope this article did not impact your Christmas spirit!

Don Ford

No comments: