Translate

Friday, December 11, 2015

Short ride, but lots of fun 12.11.15


                Thursday begin like any other day, I bounced out of bed before the crack of dawn full of energy and ready to take on the world. It was about that time that I understood that I am a retired senior and I really do not have any bounce left in me.
            As I had explained in my last revealing article, I now have an exercise bike. I decided to try it out even though the weather was good today. I plan to walk most of the time but ride the exercise bike on bad weather and cold days.
            I started out pedaling but I wasn’t getting anywhere. The light in the garage goes off after a minute or so and it was now very dark, heck I could not see where I was going. That wasn’t going to work so I decided to move the bike outside. After relocating the unit, I again mounted the bike and began to ride.
            All seemed to be going well until this car came down the street, head lights on high, I could not see anything but the bright lights of the oncoming car. Naturally, I wrecked the bike, I ran into the curb. Luckily I fell into this pile of leaves from the red oak trees, so I did not break any bones.
            Mounted up again I was riding like the wind. My breathing and heart rate was elevated, I was exercising. Then another car came up the street, this time it was approaching from behind me. The lights were on high beam but not in my eyes.
            I began to pedal faster and the vehicle was right beside me. I could not pedal any faster and I was tiring quickly. The lady in the car must have thought she was someone special, she rolled down her window and suggested that I get the exercise bike off the street, and at least back in the drive way.
Who did she think she was, telling this senior person and resident at this Homestead of 35 years, to get onto the drive way?  Female types!”
            Feelings hurt, I drug the unit back into the garage. People should be nicer, I was close to the curb and not bothering anyone.
            Different ride:
            I had decided to ride the bike out to the bunk house today for lunch since the weather was supposed to be so nice. I left the Ford Homestead about 10:20am but the weather had not yet became nice. It was cloudy and very windy, which makes for a less that perfect ride.
I do not enjoy riding in the hot summer sun, but riding on a cloudy day, is somehow depressing.
            Being a seasoned rider, a little wind was not going to discourage me. I thought about which route to take and decided on the short route, which was out highway 6 and was probably the route with the most cross wind.
            I did have a first time situation during this ride. Now, I have been riding since before I was 16, and it is unusual to encounter something new during a ride, but it did happen!
I had passed through Valley Mills, TX and was picking up speed. Traffic was light and I was almost to the speed limit of 75 mph. The wind was from my left blowing at least 20 mph, and there was a big tree near the left side of the road.
You probably think having a big tree beside the road is nothing unusual. This area is open fields, you know, pasture land, less trees more grass. The leaves, were coming off that tree in unbelievable amounts.
Many years ago, while riding with a group of bikes, we rode through a swarm of bees. I saw everyone ducking, luckily I was toward the back of the group and was warned by radio of the swarm so I ducked in behind the windshield and was not stung. This has nothing to do with the leaves, but I wanted to tell you my story about the bees.
Imagine riding into a cloud or a sudden unexpected fog, at near 75 mph. These leaves were falling like a heavy sudden rain. I actually ducked behind the windshield for just a second and then realized they were just leaves. I must say, at a distance the leaves did not seem as numerous but driving through them was a different subject.
I arrived at lunch safely and I must say I enjoyed the food even though I was eating alone. L
After lunch I took the long way back home, I was on roads with more wind breaks, so the ride was more pleasant and the sun was shining.
            I stopped at the gas station to fill the wing with fresh gas. I had dismounted the bike and was opening the gas cap when this female voice said, “that is the right way to get around”. The voice was coming from a little old lady on the other side of the gas pump, who must have been at least as old as me.
            Without invite, she came to my side of the pump inspecting my bike. I explained that it was comfortable to ride and it was kind of the Cadillac of bikes.
She commented that being retired, I must have a lot of time to enjoy riding. Why would she assume that a fellow as young looking as me, would be retired? Was she indicating that I was old?
I told her that my wife says the back seat is very comfortable, kind of like a recliner. That comment seemed to stop this female from hitting on me!

            Tomorrow, if the wind is not blowing, I will likely vacuum the yard again. We are expecting rain and possible storms over the weekend so I should get up as many leaves as I can before the bad weather gets here.

May the winds of life, blow the leaves from your yard!

Don Ford  

No comments: