Translate

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Get off my Case 12.02.15


                A picture is worth a thousand words. I assume a picture and a photo are of the same value. Why did I differentiate between the two? In my world the picture is something that is printed for display while a photo can be seen on many devices like a computer or smart phone.
I was talking with a person (female of the species) the other day, and I had commented that I had built an addition on to the fort behind our Homestead. This person asked if I had any photos.
At first I thought, why would I have photos of something I built several months ago. Then it dawned on me, I now live in a different world and I could pull my smart phone out of my pocket and show the lady some photos.
In doing so, I jokingly said, don’t look at the nude photos. I am glad this female did not take me seriously, I have no nude photos on my phone. 
Back to my original subject:
Could it be said of both, that they are worth a thousand words? That question unanswered, what is the value (worth) of a word. If we were able to determine the value of a word, we could them multiply it by one thousand and we would know the value of a photo.
           
            There is now another question that I would like to present and that is, “Are all photos equally valuable”? If not, then how would we estimate the value of one photo verses another?
            I have earnestly considered this next question, and I will provide the correct and complete answer. In our present day world, there is a phenomenon that is pervasive and at times annoying. What is this irritating thing, it is the “selfie”.
            The question is, “is a selfie worth a thousand words”? The correct and complete answer is, “NO”!
            What started me on this particular quest, it was a comment I made to my present spouse the other morning. I said, “I wonder if I could take any subject and write something about it”. She, in her all-knowing way, responded with, “don’t you do that every day”?
            The photo of the lovely young lady was taken by me, while in the Ford’s Chevy when taking the grandees to school.
            Does she have her seat belt on, Nope! Is her breath showing up on the dash, yep. You can’t see it in this photo but she had a bright red dress on for some type of Christmas pictures they were taking at school that day.
            Was I a distracted driver, I think not.
            There is much more information in the photo and it may well be worth a thousand words, but the photo does not tell the entire story.
            We were sitting still in stop and go traffic, on the drive where the kids are dropped for school. The kids unbuckle their seat belts and get their back packs on, only after we are off the road and well into the drive way.
            I think that is enough about photos, there was a thing that popped into my enormous brain the other day. I asked my present spouse if she remember this little rhyme and she said she had never heard it. The rhyme goes something like this.
            I asked my mother for 50 cents
            To see the elephant jump the fence
            He jumped so high
He touched the sky
            And didn’t come back until the 4th of July.       

            The online version is a little different from what I remember.        
           
            I asked my mother for 50 cents
            To see the elephant jump the fence
            He jumped so high
He reached the sky
            And didn’t come down ‘til the fourth of July.

If you need to learn more about this rhyme get on the internet and look it up.

May your photos be worth 2,000 words!

Don Ford

No comments: