Translate

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Learning or Memorizing 08.03.14

 
If learning and memorizing are the same, why aren’t there, “schools of higher memorization”?
                It may be difficult for you to even come close to understanding how this magnificent brain in my thickly skulled head works, heck I don’t even understand it myself.
                Yesterday a question popped into my head. I am not sure if the questioned manifested itself when I was trying, “unsuccessfully to take a nap”, or while I was, “on my knees in the front yard pulling weeds from the flower beds”.
You may be wondering why I couldn’t take a nap. I think it was because I had drank too much tea at the Bunk House at lunch? We had ridden for a couple hours and stopped that the Bunk House for lunch, where I consumed several glasses of ice tea and took one to go.
Why was I on my knees pulling weeds on a Saturday afternoon? As stated earlier, I could not sleep so I needed something to do, and since the weather was cooperating, “temps was in the mid to upper 80s”, I was order, it was suggested that I should work in the yard.
 
     1+1=2    2+2=4    4+4=8              did we learn these facts or memorize them? 
I am of the opinion that we memorized them. 
Is learning the same as memorizing?
When you memorize something it is stored in your memory and can be accessed later.
When you learn something it is stored in your memory and can be accessed later. 
 
Could it be that, Learning is the process of using the information that you have memorized.
                An example might be; in shop class you were told, “Measure twice cut once”. You stored this in your memory (memorizing). At a later time when you are doing a wood working project you recall what you had memorized, “measure twice cut once”, and when you have used the memorized process, it could be said, “you have learned it”. 
In summary:
When you can apply or use what you have memorized, you have at that time learned it.
 
I hope you learn many things today.
Don Ford
 

No comments: