Translate

Thursday, August 28, 2014

What have I been doing? 08.28.14

 
                That is a good question. It has been odd not needing to consider where the grand kids are and what they are doing. It is totally different and I do miss them.
                I put a 2 meter radio in the pickup on Tuesday. What is a 2 meter radio, you ask. I will explain. It is a radio used by, “Amateur Radio Operators” (AKA Hams). The term 2 meter refers to the wave length of the radio signal. It is also known as a VHF radio (Very High Frequency) and is probably the most popular amateur radio frequency.
                No I did not have the money to purchase a radio, I went to the shed and got one of my old radios and put it in the truck. I think that radio is about 23 years old.
                I was not happy with the power cord for that radio so I decided to build a new cord. I purchased the plug from Radio Shack and began to work on it. I pulled down a tool box that I knew had some radio supplies in it. I turned on the fan and began to work.
                This project should have taken about 20 minutes, but it took about two hours. You might say I changed my plan of attack several times. I had several short pieces of wire and tape along with other general trash on the floor, which I voluntarily swept up, prior to my spouse of 45 years return home.  The power cord worked as expected.
                This morning I decided to put a 2 meter radio on my desk even though I do not have a 2 meter base antenna. I do have an antenna that will allow me to monitor radio traffic but not transmit. You guessed it, I went back to the shed and got another radio and brought it to the house.
                I have not been active in the amateur radio hobby for a long time, so I will need to listen and learn. Maybe I will even read some to see what is new.
                I need to climb the short tower and take down the broken part of an old 2 meter antenna. When I get it down I will then order a new 2 meter antenna to put up on the short tower.
                I have no desire to climb the tall tower, it is about 12 feet taller than the short tower but it seems much scarier.
 
I hope your day is most excellent!
 
Don Ford            KJ5OD
 

No comments: