Translate

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Assume 08.05.14

 
                One of the many things they try to teach managers is to not assume. There are many reasons why one should not assume but the one I remember the most was, “when you assume you make an, “ass out of you and me” ass/u/me”.
                One should not assume in daily life but we I still do. My pickup truck began to shift in a manner which caused me to think the transmission was going out.
                When I was driving through town it would up shift normally as long as I was giving it some gas. As soon as I took my foot off the gas it would shift (I don’t know if it was up shifting or down shifting) but it was like someone dropped a bowling ball from about ten feet up, down onto my transmission. The truck would literally shake from the shifting.
                The shifting concern had been going on for a couple weeks, but since I don’t drive the truck very much it did not seem urgent. Also I was “assuming” that it would cost an arm and leg and as we all know being on a fixed income, I was not in a hurry to take it in.
                I spoke to my neighbor who is a “maestro” of mechanics (he paid me to say that). I told him I thought my transmission was going out due to the way it was shifting. He commented that I could be right but it might be something else.
                About 3 days ago I was going somewhere in the pickup and when I came to a stop sign it died. Unusual I thought, as I restarted the motor. At that point I noticed that the check engine light was on. Now what, I thought. It was then I noticed that almost every time the transmission shifted it was as if the tranny was about to fall out. I was wondering if I would make it back home.
                I called Dunn Brake and Tire (a well know repair shop) and asked if they thought they could fix it. I was told that they would take a look and if they couldn’t fix it, they would recommend a transmission repair shop.
                They checked it out and replaced something called, “throttle position sensor”.  I asked if that was going to help with the shifting problem. I was told that the mechanic said he thought it would. The sensor cost $45.00 which made me happy.
                As I drove the truck home I was trying to make the truck shift abnormally, but it would not. I drove it again this morning to the eye doctor and it shifts as it should.
                Yes I had my eyes checked today and as usual they dilated them. I have some sun glasses that I can put over my regular glasses but things are still very bright after dilation. My eyes are still dilated and it is difficult to see the words as I type.
 
                Our lesson for today, which I need to learn or memorize is;
                It is better to not ass/u/me.
Don Ford

No comments: