Translate

Monday, March 17, 2014

Creation

In the beginning was the Word,
The word was with God,
The word was God.
 
In the previous passage there is references to God, the beginning and the word. I will not attempt to explain any of that quote.
                                A slightly different version below.
 
In the beginning was the wood,
The wood was with Don,
The wood was not Don.
               
                This article will be (hopefully) about the “creation”. For the purpose of this article we will define creation as, “bringing something into existence”. It is my plan to bring another toy chest into existence”.
Below we see the wood.
We see, “Supervisor Molly” standing on the wood as she verifies my measurements. She insists on double checking my work in an effort to help me avoid wasting time and wood.
 
Alex took this photo of, “the master wood butcher” after dropping the camera on the cement floor. I have now instructed him to always put the wrist strap around his arm while carrying/using the camera. Yes I wear safety glasses when running the saw.
Below we see the wood after cutting to proper length. It looks like a lot of pieces for one toy chest.                       
Now the creating begins with much sanding.
                                                                   
After assembling the top I decided to modify it by adding approx. 2 inches on the back providing the proper overhang all the way around.
Below we see the piece that is being added. Note that I decided to use 4 wood dowels which add support to the gluing process.  Supervisor Molly did not want her face in the photo saying, “My beauty would take the viewer’s attention away from your creation”. 
When the glue was added and the additional piece was skillfully inserted, I used clamps to hold the pieces together until the glue dried. Clamps purchased from, “Do it Best Corp.”; you would think they would give me a larger discount for the free advertisement.
In the photo below we see the Toy Chest partly assembled. There are still clamps at the corners and the top/lid is just laying on top. This partial assembly allows me to determine what if any changes need to be made.
                There are a couple minor adjustments to be made along with final sanding.
*             *             *             *             *             *             *             *
We had some nice weather last week, plus it was spring break. The grandkids went to Disney World for the entire week. I was able to complete the Toy Chest, see below.
I added two supports to the lid/top for the following reason. I was told the grandkids have stood on top of Gabi’s toy chest so I decided to make it stronger.
 
I kept my word, this article is about “Creation”.
 
I hope you have a creative day.      
 
Don Ford 

No comments: