Translate

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Alex' comments 03.06.14

Alex’ comments
Alex, “why are we going so slow Papa”?
Papa, “we are trying to save gas”.
Alex, “I have rocket boosters; I will make your truck go faster”.
                -------------------
While I am driving in town and Alex is the back seat driver;
Alex, “the light is red Papa, stop”! (If you do not respond he will say it over and over.)
Papa, “I see it is red and I am stopping”.
Alex, “I will use my magic to make it green”. He moves his hands and the light often changes color. If the light does not change;
Alex, “my magic is out of gas, I need to get some gas”.
-------------------
Alex, “Papa you are getting old, I am going to put you in the trash truck”.
Papa, “why are you going to put me in the trash truck”?
Alex, “I want a robot Papa”.
                -------------------
Today, as every day, I took Gabi to school and Alex went along for the ride. After dropping Gabi off at school Alex and I began the journey home.  I was driving and Alex was in the back seat (I find it better if I drive as Alex is just 3.5 years old). It was very quiet in the vehicle so I started snapping my fingers to break the silence.
Alex said, “Stop Papa, that makes my ears dead”. The somewhat surprising comment caught my attention.
Just to be sure I understood, I asked, “snapping my fingers make your ears dead”, to which he replied, “Yes”.
Alex went on to say, “I have batteries in my ears and the noise makes them dead”.
Naturally I was somewhat surprised to learn that he has batteries in his ears, so I asked, “can you put new batteries in your ears?
                Alex responded, “I have tools so I can put the batteries in my ears”.
            Fascinated I asked, “Are your tools at home?”
            Alex explained, “I have some tools in my pocket”.
            That was the end of the conversation.
I would like to point out, discussions similar to that are not unusual between Alex and me. I just thought I had an imagination, Alex’ far exceeds mine. 
---------------------
I should begin by explaining a recent event that seemed funny to me but was not seen as funny to Alex.
A couple weeks ago we were at the cleaners dropping off some shirts and pants to be cleaned. The clothes were in the back seat with Alex. The person came out to get the clothes, they opened the back door and I commented, “Take the clothes and the boy too”. The attendant and I chuckled but he did not take the boy. That was the beginning of the story.
It is two weeks later when Alex and I were going to town. I made a stop at the cleaners to pick up the clothes from two weeks ago. The fellow came out and I gave him the tickets. Alex told me, “Momma said you don’t give me to the cleaners”. That was Alex’ way of telling me that he did not like it when I said, “take the boy too”.
I quickly began to explain to Alex that I would never give him to anyone. I felt bad that what I, as an adult, thought was funny; he a child thought I was serious. 
I will not make that mistake again.
                ------------------------
                During our morning ride home after dropping Gabi off at school Alex noticed that there were many leaves on the road and in yards.
                Alex said, “The world is being covered with leaves” and I replied, “You’re right”. Alex thought a moment then asked, “How are we going to get them off the world?” I replied, “I don’t know.”  (The day before this comment, Alex and I had been picking up leaves and putting them in plastic bags to take to the dump).
------------------------
                The weather was cool; Alex and I were going outside. We stepped into the garage, the garage door was closed. Alex said, “Papa the garage is cold because of the holes in the door”. He was pointing out that the garage door did not fit very tight and there was light coming in at various spots around the door. He is very observant, kind of like his Papa.
                -------------------------
Alex and I were driving through the Do it Best parking lot on our way to have lunch with his dad; as we passed a shrub that was trimmed to look like a giant mushroom possibly eight feet across at the bottom, Alex commented, “Did you see the elephant Papa?” I stopped, backed up to see the elephant. With some imagination it did look like an elephant.
                -------------------------
We were driving towards home in my pickup truck after stopping at Star Bucks and we were approaching a railroad crossing. The arms were in the up position and there were no trains in sight.  Alex commented, “Papa your mirrors are too big they will get knocked off, you need smaller mirrors on your truck”.  He thought my mirrors might hit the railroad crossing arms.
                -------------------------
We were outside playing when Alex said, “Papa there is a foot print of a Bear on your side walk”. I had to see this and he was correct, there was something that looked like a Bear’s foot print. It was actually a shadow from a flower pot and flowers hanging from the mail box post; it did resemble a foot print of a Bear. 
A little later I was trying to cut a piece of metal and I became frustrated. I sat down in my rocker. Alex asks, “What’s wrong Papa?” I said, “I am not happy”. Alex walked in the yard picked a yellow dandelion bloom and brought it to me saying, “This flower will make you happy Papa”, it did.  He is very observant.
-------------------------
While at a restaurant having a birthday lunch for David and Patrick (present were Patrick, David, Claire, Karla, Gabi, Alex, Donna and me) Alex has gotten a necklace from a vending machine. It was a plastic half-moon on a string. The string was short so Claire added a piece of string to it so it would be easier to get on and off.
Alex put the string necklace around his neck and commented, “It goes all the way down to my Pinkie”. We all laughed but he was correct, it did.
-------------------------
Alex and I were talking about my belly being fat. I said I would like to have a flat belly like you Alex, to which he replied, “I eat food with my mouth, it goes down to my belly and I poop it out my boo-hind.”  I am pretty sure when I was 3.5 years old I had no idea how the digestive system worked.
-------------------------
Alex and I were playing when he bumped his head. I jokingly asked if he had broken his head to which he replied, “No, my head is not made out of glass it is made of wood”.
-------------------------
Alex was watching Tom and Jerry on the TV when I heard him say, “That can’t be good”, then a few seconds later he said, “That is going to hurt”. He often makes comments that I only expect from adults.
-------------------------
As a grandfather I found the above comments from the grandson to be surprising and occasionally charming.
 
I hope you have a family Day!
Don Ford

No comments: