Translate

Monday, March 31, 2014

Supper at the Outback 03.31.14

 

            I am sitting here thinking about words (terminology) that are use daily. I must assume that people who have better vocabulary than me make the decisions as to what a word means or how we use a word.

            During my childhood the word “dinner” was used to refer to the noon meal and the word “supper” referred to the evening meal. That may be the reason I become somewhat confused when someone asks, “have you had dinner”. Anyway, whether one says dinner or supper it means we are going to eat.

            Friday evening my spouse of 44 years 11 months and 24 days and I headed out to dinner, supper to eat. In case you didn’t pick up on, “the afore mentioned hint”, we have an anniversary coming on April 5th. We had decided to go to the “Long Horn Steak House” which is new to the Waco area. As we approached the Establishment there was people standing outside waiting to be seated. We then decided to go to the Outback which was just a couple blocks away.

            Arriving at the Outback there were parking spaces and no one standing outside waiting to get in. We were seated immediately, there was no waiting. The server was good and he brought our drinks to the table quickly. Our order was placed and we sat at the table discussing world affairs. Truthfully, we talked about the day and the fact that I mowed the yard.

            A well-dressed young man came walking through the area, I flagged him down and asked if he was a manager, he replied yes, may I help you? I noted that we could have gone to the new Long Horn Steak House but came to the Outback instead (I didn’t say there were too many people and we couldn’t get in). I then suggested that we should get a nice discount. The manager laughed and asked if we had an appetizer, he would have taken that off our bill. I explained that we are on a fixed income and can’t afford all the nice things some patrons enjoy, as I sipped on my Bloody Mary.

            The manager laughed and said he did appreciate us being at the Outback for the evening repast (I used the word repast so I didn’t need to decide between Dinner and Supper). He then walked away.

            Our meal was good and we were ready to leave. The server brought the bill which surprisingly had two discounts on it. My spouse had a coupon for $5.00 off and the manager knocked $10.00 off the total bill. The final cost not including gratuity was $21.07, not bad for two people.

            Thanks “Outback”, we the people on fixed income appreciate you.

 I hope all your discounts are enjoyable.

 

Don Ford

No comments: