Translate

Friday, March 21, 2014

Thursday evening ride 03.20.14

Thursday evening ride

 
 
            The day was sunny with a high temperature in the mid-70s. This ride began at 6:30pm which meant the sun would be in our face as we would be riding west. 
            I don’t have an exact count as to the number of bikes but I would guess about 15. As we started toward the objective (The Horny Toad) it became very obvious that blinding sun light in our eye would be the largest challenge of the ride.
            The process of getting there was fairly uneventful if you consider occasionally not being able to see the road ahead of you due to the sun being just over the horizon. We arrived at the Horny Toad after sundown but it wasn’t quite dark yet.
            The parking lot was a biker’s night mayor (I use the term “biker” to describe the over-the-hill gang). There was dirt and gravel with a few large rocks scattered over the lot. Everyone was able to find a spot to park without incident.
            As we walked across the so called parking lot, someone commented that we would not find a seat when we get inside. This prophecy turned out to be more right than not. The locals had most of the tables in use and we had to take the less desirable tables, our table had not been bussed (cleaned).
                Being rough tough bikers we were not put off by a table that had leftovers from the previous patrons. Actually it was just a glass of tea and the wrapper from the straw. 
            Quick service is evidently not a part of the agenda at the Horny Toad; we waited 20 minutes before they took our drink order. As we waited another 10 minutes for the tea to be brought to the table, I noticed an old license plate nailed over a hold in the floor. There were other holes in the floor that were not covered.
            The food arrived at the table in spurts over a 10 minute period, I received my burger before others and I enjoyed eating it in front of them. I have a hypothesis; “making us wait caused us to be so hungry that any food would have seemed to be good”.  Actually, my burger was very good.
            The tooth picks (an appetizer; thinly sliced jalapenos and onions that are battered then deep fried) were good but not as good as those from the Bunk House.
            About one and a half hours after arriving it was time to depart. Most of us bikers had prepared for the ride home with extra jackets and heavy duty gloves. The temperature for the ride home was mid-50s. I should point out that the heated hand grips on my Gold Wing felt very good.
            The ride home was uneventful and a little chilly. When I arrive home I checked the odometer and I had ridden 144 miles round trip.
            All in all, it was a good time.
 
            I hope all your restaurant visits are good.
 
                Don Ford

No comments: