Translate

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

"Mistake", who me?

“Mistake”, who me?               03.04.14
 
                First, is it a mistake if everything is perfect?
                Second, it is doubtful that you would believe that Don Ford has ever made a mistake or at least that Mr. Ford would openly admit a mistake.
                I have been working on a project off and on for several weeks. Intermittent cold weather has forced me to stay away from the project but this week the weather has been cooperating and I have returned to the project.
Spring break is this week which has allowed me to focus more on the project.
                My project has six pieces that must fit together properly. I have identified each piece based on a view from the front. This week I have started the final sanding and prep for staining. I plan to stain all parts prior to assembly. Sanding with 500 grit paper provides a very smooth surface which makes the project easier to stain and varnish.
                I have dry assembled the entire project installing the hinges and top. Everything fit together properly. I then disassembled the project and did some additional work. I again reassembled most of the project a second time but did not attach the top. Everything looked good.
                Present day; I begin to disassemble the unit so I can do the final sanding. As I went to remove the back I noticed something. The marks indicating back, right side was on the left side. This means the pack piece was facing the wrong way. Yes, “the back was backwards”
                One might say, turn it around.  There were holes drilled in the back that would be in the wrong place if I turned the back around.
                You might say leave the back as is, what’s the big deal?  The big deal is the hinges mount to the back and the hinges are recessed into the back.
                A slight sense of panic welled up from within. What to do? I can’t recut the hinge recesses again and I don’t want to fill in the screw holes and re-drill them.
                I calmed down and decided to measure the hinge locations.
                How could I have ever doubted myself? The locations of the hinges was exact on both locations indicating the back could be installed facing either direction and not effect the mounting of the top.
                Sometimes I forget how skilled I am. Even if I have a slight error in my actions I continue to be close to perfection.
Mistakes or errors on my part are simply tools providing insight into my true abilities and professionalism.
May any errors provide insight into your… 
 
Don Ford
The above information is true, the commentary on my perfection may be somewhat embellished.  

1 comment:

Mary said...

You know how to make me laugh!
Glad things worked out!