Translate

Thursday, September 8, 2016

It happened this way 09.08.16

            I want to tell the story of my morning stroll but first I will offer an update of our grounds keeper’s health. He has been moving a lot better recently and day before yesterday he was on his knees pulling weeds. Yesterday he started the weed eater and trimmed the front and back yard. He was surprised at how tired he was after about an hour and twenty minutes of work. He made his way to the recliner for a rest period after a quick shower.
            After lunch he decided to mow, which he completed at 2:00pm. He showered and got ready to pick up the grandees after school. This morning he was overheard saying, he is surprised at how tired he is, and that he has sore muscles, after yesterday’s yard work.
Some of his biker friends were planning a ride, but the grounds keeper decided to wait another couple weeks before attempting a ride. He noted that riding is no problem but parking lots with gravel on them can be slippery, and he did not want to attempt to hold up a huge Gold Wing until he is totally back to normal.
Now back to me!
I was walking yesterday morning, when I for some unknown reason, walked toward Texas Ave.  Now Texas Ave. is only one block away from Oklahoma Ave., but there is a world of difference. The traffic on Texas Ave. is hectic, and the drivers don’t share the street with pedestrians. More than once I had to step over the curb on to someone’s yard, to avoid being impacted by some north end of a south bound horse. These are mostly horse’s behinds (both male and female) who are taking their kids to school before going to work.
Those so called people were not the most unusual thing that happened to me during that one block walk on Texas Ave.! I would not believe this if it hadn’t happen to me. There was a male of the species, on a bicycle, helmet, shorts and all the necessary attire for a professional rider. He was on the same side of the street as me, I am walking down hill and he is riding up hill. He has the bike shifted in to a lower gear as he is peddling kind of fast but moving slow. Did I state that he appeared to be close to my age?
I thought to myself is he going to go around me, or will I need to step off the street for this cyclist. This world class rider was looking down at the road or possibly his front wheel but he was not looking where he was headed. I must assume his slow speed caused him to assume he did not need to look forward.
To make this short story longer, either he saw me and did not care, or he never saw me. At the last second I stepped off the street into a yard and shouted at him, “Maybe you should look where you are going”! The horse’s butt never looked back. I later wished I had used my walking stick to see if his helmet was any good.

May you be attentive to your surroundings!

Don Ford

No comments: