Translate

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Bucket in a Bucket 09.27.16

            Over the years I have attempted to impart my knowledge to those who may be knowledge-less! Some have listened and learned while others have, let us say, “Not listened and are still lacking in knowledge”. Did you see how I use a politically correct phrase, in an effort to not upset the reading public?
            Yesterday, our grounds Manager was allowed to get on his hands and knees to pull weeds at the Ford Homestead. He originally baulked at the work request stating that he did not want to pull those wonderful wildflowers, photo to follow.
            You may want to click on the photo in an effort to see the bloom of the so called wild flower. After a short debate, I did agree with the grounds manager that the plants were wild and they did have very small blooms, AKA flowers. I end the debate saying pull the wild flowers AKA weeds, now!

            I did keep a close eye on his endeavors as I thought he might stop pulling the weeds. I noticed that our grounds manager, although he may be lazy, does manage his time and energy. The title of this wonderful article, “Bucket in a Bucket”, came from a process I observed our grounds manager using. He placed a bucket inside a bucket then he got down on his knees and began to pull the wild flowers weeds. Seeing this, I decided to investigate. I asked, why a bucket inside a bucket, to which he replied, “Time and energy management”.
            What do you mean time and energy management? He began to explain in his slow and rhythmic voice. It is easier to carry one bucket than two, so I put one inside the other. He continued, when I am on the ground pulling the wild flowers and placing the remains in the bucket, I must occasionally move from point A to point B, and having a bucket inside a bucket means I only need to make one move to get both buckets to point B.

            When the inner bucket is full I remove it and let it set as I continue to eradicate the wild flowers. Having two buckets saves me from wasting energy of getting up to empty a single bucket, thus half as many trips to the trash container.
            I give the grounds keeper credit, he is a wise manager of time and energy!

            He also uses an old floor mat from a vehicle to sit on when his knees and back gets tired. I noticed that he had moved away from the mat for a few minutes and Charlie, our adopted cat, had been supervising the removal of the wild flowers weeds and decided to use the floor mat for himself. The grounds manager was not surprised and allowed him to continue using the mat.
                The grounds manager still has about an hour or so of weed removal to do today, even though his hands and other muscles are tired and sore.  

May all your wild flowers be pretty!

Don Ford

No comments: