Translate

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Feel Good Day 09.21.16

            Yes tomorrow is the first day of fall, but no one believes it here in Texas. It was 99 degrees here yesterday, missing the all-time record high set in 1954 of 100 degrees, by just one degree. They say it will cool down in the future, but we are not sure they know what they are talking about.
            The above paragraph has nothing to do with today’s subject, so you can ignore it!
            Today subject has to do with a comment made by our neighbor lady this morning, during my morning meditative walk.
            Before we get into today’s subject I would like to impart some information that also occurred during this morning’s walk. I was walking under a pecan tree when a single leaf impacted my head. This leaf was about 4 inches long and about one inch wide. I was in full stride when I observed an object just above my left eye. It was too late to take any action as this quickly rotating leaf was just a couple inches from my head.
            The actual impact occurred at my left temple where my glasses cross the side of my head. I believe that is the first time I have knowingly been impacted by a leaf falling from a tree. I was glad it wasn’t a pecan, there may have been injuries if it had been a pecan! The photo below is of pecan leaves, providing you with a view of several pecan leaves. Click on photo to enlarge.
 
            Now let us get started with today’s feel good story. I am not saying it will make you feel good, but it did make me and my spouse of 47 years feel good.
            I was walking west on Arkansas Street approaching Oklahoma Ave. when I observed a female neighbor and her grandson, Noah, (he is about 8 years old) leaving the front door of their home heading for their vehicle. This lady lives next door to the Ford Homestead. She asked if I wanted to hear something funny, to which I replied, “yes”. I walked closer so I could hear her better, senior retired people, sometimes can’t hear that good.
            She began, “this is the week that grandparents can eat lunch with their grand kids at school. She said that Noah wanted to know if her or her husband (grandma and grandpa) were going to come to school and eat with him. She then said Noah asked, “what about Don and Donna”. Noah has always called my first wife and me by our first names.
            I can’t tell you how very happy it made me feel, to know that Noah, thought of us as grandparents, and that he would want us to come to school and have lunch with him!
            I explained to Noah that we are kind of like, “adopted grandparents” and he seemed to like that idea.
            I then explained to our neighbor, that I had in fact eat lunch at school during grandparent’s week with another young man that was not our grandson. That young man is now a junior in college.
            As I stated earlier, it might not make you feel good, but to know that a young person would consider us as grandparent’s, and would want us to come to school and eat lunch with them and their friends, made Donna and me feel special!

I hope your day is as good as ours!

Don Ford

No comments: