Translate

Friday, July 17, 2015

Slow but sure 07.17.15

 
                The expansion at The Ford Homestead is proceeding at a rather slow pace. Although it would seem to be a simple structure to build, it has been somewhat of a challenge to this retired person. I have been working in the shade of a tree in the back yard all the while trying to stay hydrated in what seems to be sweltering heat.
                In truth, it hasn’t hit 100 yet this year, but we are still complaining about the heat.
                My poor yard is in bad need of rain. How bad you ask, there are places in the yard where the grass does not grow (under the trees) and the ground has cracked open. I noticed that many of the bugs are not able to navigate through the yard due to the openings in the ground. If they don’t have wings they are just out of luck.
                There is a pair of cardinals that have a nest in the rose bushes and they have a problem with me working in the back yard. These two don’t mind telling me what they think.
                It is unreal have many mistakes changes I have made in this project thus far. As an example, there is a 2 X 4 attached to each support post, in this case there are three posts, and the top of the 2 X 4 is to be located 11 inches above the ground. This 2 X 4 will support the floor boards. I measured 11 inches, marked a clear line, I clamped the 2 X 4 in place and drilled a hole through the 2 X 4 and into the post. I removed the clamps and continued to drill the hole the rest of the way through the posts.
                I got the three bolts, nuts and washers to attach the 2 X 4, and then realized that I had drilled the holes above the line, but they should have been below the line. I then clamped the 2 X 4 below the line and drilled the holes in the proper location.
                A corner post may have 2 X 4s attached to the front, back and sides. I am forced to actually think about what I am doing.  I do have drawings to follow, and I have even changed a couple things on the drawings.
                I would say I am one fourth done at this point.  I need to set the foundation blocks next which means I will be on my hands and knees working and praying for help.
                Non Tax deductible donations of time (helping me) or money to fund the projects will be accepted at the Ford Homestead web site.
 
Hope your projects are all enjoyable!
 
Don Ford
 

No comments: