Translate

Monday, July 6, 2015

He hasn't had time... 07.06.15

 
                Well, the holiday is over and the summer heat is beginning to settle in over, “The Hewitt Triangle”.
I have been trying to keep up with the neighbors and it isn’t easy. One neighbor mows their yard then the other, then I have to mow in an effort to keep up. It is a vicious cycle always trying to keep up with the Jones’. Heck, even the neighbor next door has mowed their yard.
A friend and neighbor decided he would get a part time job. He is now employed and supposed to work no more than 30 hours a week, although he have surpassed that mile stone a couple times. My friend seems to enjoy the work so I thought I should consider a part time position.
While I was keeping up with the Jones’ (mowing my yard) I was thinking about applying for a part time job. I envisioned (fantasized) the entire process in my well-developed brain. In other words, “the rest of this well written story is just made up”.
May I suggest, that you should stop reading now! Don’t read any further, do something constructive with your time, this story is just imagination.
What could I fine that would be easy and yet enjoyable. I reviewed the so called newspaper want ads and found nothing, then I went to the trusty computer. There were many part time positions but most were not interesting. Then I saw it, a position at a local company, part time working in logistics. Experience in logistics and fork lift operations preferred, but not required, apply in person
That sounds like something I might understand and even be able to do.
I decided to apply. I called ahead to determine if there was a best time to arrive. I was told to be there about 9:00am so I arrive at 8:45. I dressed appropriately for a job in a warehouse, heck I even took a shower and used deodorant.
The building was somewhat old, and appeared to be about 75,000 square feet. I wondered if they used the entire building for their logistics operation. The company was a plumbing supplier.
Many years ago (just out of high school) I had worked as a plumber’s helper, so I had a basic knowledge of the product line.
I was given an application which I completed using my best printing (which is not that good). I gave the application to the young lady at the window and she asked if I had a resume. I didn’t have a resume, it would have had one employer for the last 39 and ¾ years. Also, if I were to list my work experiences I would likely be, “over qualified” for a part time job. Over qualified actually means one of two things. One, you are too old and we don’t want old people! Two, I don’t want anyone trying to tell me how do run my business! 
I sat down next to another person that I assumed, was also applying. If they were going on looks then I would not get the job, as this young lady was very pretty and her short skirt was showing much of her body. 
I wondered who was doing the interviewing, a man or a woman. If it was a woman I might have a chance but if it is a man…
The door opened, and a young man came out. He looked at the young lady and said with a smile, I assume you are Cathy, come on in. I could see the hand writing on the wall, all was lost, I should get up and leave. Even if I had a short skirt on, my well-formed legs wouldn’t look that good.
About 3 minutes later the door opened again and the same young man asked if I were Donald Ford. I replied, “Yes” and he said follow me please. We walked down a dimly lit short hall and into an office. There was an odor in the office that I can only describe as an old damp or moldy smell. The aroma of strong coffee also permeated the room. The walls were painted a light green, I could see areas on the wall where pictures had hung at some point in the past. The table was round and about 4 foot across. The chairs used in the interview process were folding chairs.
So far, I am not impressed!
The young fellow started with some comments about the weather, I assume trying to make me relax and feel more comfortable.
He looked at the application for several minutes and then said, “You state that you have warehouse experience but you didn’t state how much”. I replied, “Almost 43 years with almost 40 at the last employer”. He noted that was a long time and asked if I had loaded or unloaded trucks.
I assured him that I had loaded and or unloaded many trucks during my time in warehousing, I just did not say recently.
He asked what type of logistical equipment I had used. And I explained that I had safely operated fork lifts, tuggers, electric pallet jacks, scooters, tow lines and have worked with conveyors.  I noted that I preferred the sit-down lift but can operate the standups too.
The young man seemed a little up tight. I wasn’t sure if I was doing something that wasn’t sitting well with him. I was answering his questions but I was intentionally not volunteering anything. If he were to learn that I had done his job (interviewing and selecting new employees) or that I had managed a center that was many times larger than this building, or that I was a logistics manager and had traveled between centers for a few years, he would likely say thanks but no thanks.
He wasn’t familiar with the company name of my past employer which is not unusual, many people drive by the building every day and have no idea what the name is or what they do.
This young man began explaining what their logistics personnel do. He then noted that they use the term Logistic and not warehousing when referring to their business. He went on to explain that a warehouse is a location where product is stored and logistics is the movement of merchandise from one point to another.
He continued, saying he understood that in the olden days the term warehouse was used, but not in his business, not in these modern days.
Basically he was putting me in my place by stating that I was old, and I did not have the knowledge and did not use the correct terminology that was needed in the business now days!
I knew the interview was over so I thanked him for his time and noted; I am sure you have a good education but that is not all that is necessary in today’s work place. I commented that there are many things that he should learn, and I hoped he had some experienced mentors in his life as he surely does need them.
Again, knowing the interview was over, I was being direct but not abusive. I said, if I may I would like to point out a couple things that might help you in the future.
You attempted to make me feel relaxed by talking about the weather before we started the interview, but you were holding and looking at the application. You did not seem to be at ease, thus your applicant will not be at ease.
May I suggest, when you interview you should review the application before the applicant enters the room.
You might try laying the application down, smile when you are speaking and make eye contact, push your chair back from the table a little, and then lean back in the chair. If you appear relaxed, the applicant will likely relax, and they will be more open to you. 
You should learn to ask the right, open ended questions. During our conversation you did not learn much about me and my experiences.
By now he was not happy and I knew he wanted me to leave.
As I stood up, I again thanked him for his time, I extended my hand to him. As we shook hands I said, “My knowledge comes from years of experience, working with all types of people, many excellent, some were not; Young man, what I know, you haven't had time to learn!”
 
I said believe it or not, this didn’t happen.
          It is a made up story, I suggested that you not read it, but you did!
                       Now, did it happen or not?
Don Ford
 

No comments: