Translate

Monday, July 20, 2015

You didn't think of this 07.20.15

 
                I am fairly sure that you did not think of this, but I did. You are correct if you were thinking, my mind works in mysterious ways.
                I am assuming that you have seen cowboy shows, you know the ones with all the bar fights, gun fights, fast horses and people jumping from one horse to knock the other fellow off his horse. Now that I think about it, why didn’t the good guy, ride alongside the bad guy, and instead of jumping on him and taking the chance of breaking an arm or leg, just hit him in the back of the head with his gun. That seems to me as if it would knock a bad guy off his horse.
                No, that isn’t what my story is about, I just got side tracked by one of my many thoughts.
                I know, one of you want to know how the tree house is going. I am at a standstill until I get some help to move the center section. The center and west side sections are 8 foot by 8 foot and assembled, each weighs about 100 pounds. I have moved both units (one at a time) without help, but I almost strained every muscle that is left in this seasoned citizens body. I then thought about my friend who has back problems, and I decided to not attempt to move these heavy and awkward units without help.
                Unfortunately, I positioned the center unit backwards and it needs to be turned around. That is not something I will attempt by myself. Dave will help me turn this unit and then I can get back to work.
                Speaking of Dave, I helped him haul tree limbs from his new home to the Hewitt recycling area this past Saturday. We hauled three loads of limbs and one load of wood, doors, old sheet rock and other items that they have removed from the home prior to moving in. it was hot hard work and next month we will be doing it again. It seems as if the previous owners never trimmed the trees.
                OK, I will attempt to get back to my original thought. Yes this thought is original and you will agree with me after I have related the thought to you.
                I am not sure if this thought came to me as I was enjoying my morning walk, or if it came to me in a dream. I dream almost every night and most of the time my dreams are just odd or silly. I am glad that I don’t have bad or scary dreams.
                How I came up with this thought is not important but I wonder why I had not considered it before now. I must have watched hundreds of cowboy movies from the older ones to the more modern movies.
Have you noticed, they don’t make many cowboy movies anymore? Now days everything has to do with zombies or something that is going to kill everyone if the hero (male or female) can’t stop the disaster. I think I liked it better when it was cowboys.
No I do not watch the new thrillers and I do not listen to the modern (young peoples) music. I guess being a seasoned citizen, I like the things from my past.
Back to the thought. In many of the old cowboy movies, but not so much in the new cowboy movies, there were watering troughs, often located where the horses would be tied to the hitching post. The horse could take a drink while he was waiting for his rider to return. Occasionally there would be a town drunk who would dunk his head in the trough to help him sober up.
If you remember, there was the occasional fight and one of the participants (cowboys) would end up in the watering trough.
Now you should understand that I have been thinking about these watering troughs.
I might have come up with this thought while watching and old Gun Smoke TV show the other day. They were experiencing some type of drought…
Were the troughs made by the undertaker? They were shaped like the wooden caskets that we saw on the cowboys shows. What did they use to keep the wood from allowing the water to leak, they had to be sealed with something.
Now to the meet of this topic; how did the water get put into the trough? If the trough in front of a store or bar was owned by the store, did they have to replace the water?
They did not have running water, so someone would have to carry the water to the trough. Who carried the water?
Were the troughs owned by the town?  Did they have a city worker carry the water? Each town had a mayor what did the mayor do if they didn’t have city workers?
I now wonder if the water troughs was something that was only for the movies, and in real life the cowboy had to take his horse to the creek for a drink.
It seems as if there are more questions than answers!
I told you it was an original thought and you had not considered this before I related it to you.
 
May your thoughts all be nice and original!
 
Don Ford

No comments: