Translate

Monday, July 27, 2015

Think about this 07.27.15

 
                Sales person, (notice how I am being politically correct and not saying sales man) a person who usually works for another, and who job it is to relieve you of your money, while attempting to make you feel as if he/she is helping you.
                As I began to write this revealing article, I was initially thinking about cars sells people. I recently took my pick up that now has 100,000 miles on it, to the dealer for an oil change. I normally do not like to take anything to the dealer unless it is warranty work, because I feel as if the dealerships charge more than they should.
                I had a coupon for an oil change and they were charging less that the oil change place down the street. I was waiting on a female employee to help me and I could not help but overhear a conversation between her, the customer and a car salesman. Now this young man (the customer) was attempting to get his pickup in for some diagnostic service.
                The sales man said, why don’t you just buy a new truck and you will not have to wait on the diagnostic. He then told the young that he could put him in a new truck for the same payment or less that what he was now paying. He then asked the young man what his monthly payment was, $500 or $600? The young many responded with $800. I could not believe what I was hearing, someone pays $800 a month for a vehicle!
                I immediately walked away from the area so I would not be seen as listening in.
                Then another fellow walked up to me and asked if I had been helped, to which I replied, “No”. He asked what I needed and I said an oil change. He said I should talk to the female employee when she finishes. He then went on to explain that he had recently had surgery and was not allowed to work, but he was trying to help out where he could (I wondered if management knew he was there).
                As I thought about the salesman trying to get the customer to purchase a new pickup, I realized that his approach would likely get many people to purchase a new vehicle.
                A good sales person is able to gain the confidence of the customer and have the customer believe he is helping him. The truth is the sales person is trying to get the customer to purchase something at the highest price possible, so that the company can make money and the sales person get their commission. 
                Sales people on commission, regardless of what type of product being sold, want to sell at the highest price.
                                Have you thought about wait staff in a restaurant as being sales people? They are on commission since they work for tips.  They are selling the food and their service. Those with a good personality make more in tips than those that are grumpy.
                Enough about sales, it has been hot here in Hewitt. We have been as high as 99 but have not officially hit 100 yet this year. The weather people noted that in 2011 the Waco area had already hit 100 degrees, 41 times.
                I am here to tell you that even though we haven’t officially made it to 100, it is still hot!
 
                I have continued working on the tree house or whatever it will be called, and I am at the point of installing the floors. There will be two floors (upper and lower) and the unit is in an “L” shaped around an 8 foot tall tree stump.
                The work is hot but most often it is in the shade.
 
                The other morning as I was enjoying my morning walk, a neighbor lady asked if I would do a rain dance, to which I replied, “My rain dance only works if I am nude, and I get in trouble dancing nude in the yard”.
 
Have a cool day!
 
Don Ford
 
 

No comments: