Translate

Monday, June 8, 2015

Men and Boys 06.08.15

 
                There is an old saying that goes something like this, “The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.”
                That saying was probably true, in the olden days. A boy’s toy was usually a cap gun or maybe a BB gun or a bicycle.
                Now days, the boy’s toy (child’s toy, boy or girl) usually has something to do with a computer and is not inexpensive. Adults no longer can afford toys for themselves as they are spending all their money on the kid’s toys.
                Sunday morning my spouse of 46 years, was reviewing the local paper for any good deals when she found a sale add. This add had gift ideas for Father’s day, which I believe is June 21st.
                By the way, this past Sunday was the day for the biker’s peaceful protest of the jailing and million dollar bail, set for those involved in the Twin Peaks killings.  I was told that the bikers rode past the jail and then down to the Waco Court House. There was a brief blurb on the news about the so called protest. 
                My spouse showed me the advertisement suggesting that I might like to have this item for a father’s day present. Although I had thought I would like one, I had not given any serious thought to getting one.
                Since she sparked my interest, I did what any red blooded American would do, I went on line to look the item up. What do they cost, how are they made, and I also watched some videos.
                All the research made me tired, but I was able to fight off the fatigue and get a shower and dressed. It was decided that we should go by the HEB and take a look at the item. I know, it sounds odd that my spouse would take me to a grocery store for a father’s day gift. They say a way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. 
                The HEB has a little bit of everything, so I guess it is not too unusual to get a gift from there. I learned at the checkout another reason for going there. My spouse gets points for spending money at this store.
                I know you might find it hard to believe, “I had to pay for my Father’s day gift”, and my spouse got the points.
                Box in hand we headed for the Cracker barrel to have brunch. On most Sundays we have brunch there and then no other meals are prepared at, “The Ford Homestead”, the rest of the day.
                Our grand kids are visiting their other grandparents in Dallas this week so we have to find things to do, like cut tree limbs. I also need to install the swimming pool that my spouse purchased. We have had one each of the last two summers. When summer is over I drain the pool and cut it into pieces and let the trash company haul it off.
                After eating I was ready to head for home and get my new toy out of the box. I must say I was somewhat excited about the toy and I hoped I would not brake it the first time I played with it.
In the photo below, you see me, taking a selfie photo, with my new “Man toy”. You are correct, the grass is still green from the extended rains we had. We have begun watering the garden and the flowers as the 90 plus degree heat quickly takes the moisture out of the ground where there is no grass.  
                The darn birds have been eating or just punching holes in our tomatoes as soon as they begin to ripen. I purchased an owl (no not a real owl, I didn’t know where to get a real owl) to put next to the garden, hoping it would keep some of the birds away.
This owl has a head that will move when the wind blows. It drives the mockingbirds crazy. Every time the owls head moves, one or more of the mocking birds will fly at it. I hope we get some tomatoes.
Below I have placed a photo of my father’s day present. I am learning how to operate the unit. It is challenging for a senior citizen but I think I am up to the challenge. I can take photos and videos with the unit. It is fun!
It is called the panther spy drone UFO. The orange/yellow props are at the front of the unit. It has 4 individual motors, one for each prop. It has led lights on the bottom, I assume for night flight.
                I hope I don’t break it before I learn how to fly it.
 
May all your toys be fun!
 
Don Ford   
 

No comments: