Translate

Monday, June 15, 2015

Defiant 06.15.15

 
                It was a hot humid and somewhat lazy Friday afternoon. I had completed my forced labor assigned tasks for the day, and was now resting in my old rocker near the garage door. There was little wind, so I had a fan blowing a breeze on me.
                My extraordinary brain was in the process of evaluating all the many events that occurred around me today. It was at this very moment that I was surprised by two squirrels quickly descending from my little pecan tree. They were either playing or fighting as they circled the little tree.
                I, not being a fan of squirrels, especially when they are in and around our pecan tree, decided to try to scare them away.  I clapped my hands very loud! One squirrel ran away, while the other climbed up into the pecan tree, stopping at the fork of the tree. This squirrel was showing his total disregard for my presence. He defiantly barked at me as he was giving me the stair. I could see that this fellow was saying, you don’t scare me!
                I wasn’t going to allow this little rodent to tell me, a human, that he wasn’t scared. I leaped from my chair and ran to the tree (the tree was about 10 feet from where I was sitting). Slightly out of breath from the run, I stopped and gathered my thoughts at the base of the tree. This rodent was still attempting to defy my authority, as he ascended a few feet higher in the tree.
                I being the dominant male at, “The Ford Homestead”, felt the need to make this rodent feel fear, and never want to return. I clapped my hands and hit the little tree, kind of like a gorilla in the wild might do.
                The trespasser had moved from the little pecan tree onto the red oak tree. “Good riddance”, I thought, as I maneuvered my way back to the rocking chair.
                As I sat down and began to rock, the thought that came to mind was, “victory feels good”!
                I slowly surveyed the property, thinking that I should mow the grass, but I do not want to until it is about to rain or has rained. It is almost unbelievable that our yards could be cracking open after all the rain of just 10 days ago. I took a photo during one of the heavy rains, which will show you the amount of one rain event. Remember that this very ground, which was covered with water 2 weeks ago is now cracking open.
                Continuing to survey the property, allowing the idea of mowing to evaporate from my mind, my eyes went up to the heavens were there were a few puffy white clouds, slowly moving across the most brilliantly blue sky, that anyone has ever saw.
                It was a good day, if I did not consider the heat.
                For some reason, I looked up into the trees and then I saw it, the rodent had not gone away. This rodent was, I believe, defiantly laying on a tree limb, showing me that he was not intimidated by my efforts, to evict him from the property. See the photos of the defiant culprit.
It is difficult to see this rebellious rodent at first glance. A close-up follows.
                It should not be illegal to hunt squirrels in the city limits.
 
He may have won this one, there will be a next time!
 
Don Ford
 
 

No comments: