Translate

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Small garden 101 04.02.14

Small garden 101                   04.02.14

 

                My first wife wanted to get some Easter decorations out of the shed which means, I need to get the decorations out of the shed. During the process I found that I had a tiller in the back corner of the shed. Finding said tiller I decided to see if it would run. After adding a small amount of gas and pulling on the starter rope a few times the old tiller came to life.

                I decided to change the oil in the tiller and then use it to level out a pile of dirt which would make it easier to mow. This process would run the gas out of the tiller so it can be stored again.

                Earlier this month I had toyed with the idea of putting in a small garden. The imaginary garden might consists of a few tomato plants, some peppers, onions and not much more. As you can envision I would not need much room for a garden with those few plants.

                I thought about the work that would be involved initially (tilling, raking out the grass, re-tilling, making the rows and then actually planting) and then follow up work trying to keep the weeds and grass out, water the plants and trying to keep the wild life away.

                I had decided to put the tiller away and forget this venture when I mistakenly talked with my first wife. She pointed out that the grandkids might like to help in the garden and it could be a learning experience to see the garden grow.

                I filled the tiller with gas and marked off a 10 X 15 foot area near the shed. This spot is in full sunlight which is good for the plants. I misguidedly said to myself, “it should be easy to till.”  The tilling process in an area where the grass has been growing for years is not an easy process but I believed I was up to the job.

                First pass through I hit something the stopped the tiller dead in its tracks. I carefully evaluated the area below the tines, to my surprise I found a cement block which was not visible before tilling. Shovel in hand I removed this obstacle and again began to till. 

                A short time later the tiller again stopped abruptly. This time it was not a cement block. When I reviewed the area below the tines I found a piece of rebar that my tiller had bent into a “J” shape (photo to follow).

Surely I would not till up any other debris. What a foolish thought that was. In an effort to make this story somewhat shorter, I also hit the following items; one earth anchor, several roots and a rock in that order. Each of these items stopped the tiller abruptly (see photo below).

 Things I tilled up.

Below, “The garden spot” after tilling several times and raking repeatedly.

Next you are being treated to a photo of me, “The Master Gardener posed with his trusty tiller.

Onion planting for the grandkids; easy for them but the dirt clods hurt my knees.

                The above photo also shows the bottom portion of a solar panel on the side of my shed. This panel keeps a 12 volt battery charged in the shed. I am able to use some small electric devices through an inverter. Also during the winter months it keeps my mower battery charged.

 

I assume you have heard the expression, “growing like a weed”. We now have evidence that indicates I am, “The Master Gardener”, and that the soil in my garden is very, “fertile”. In the photo below you will notice that we planted a grandson and he is growing like a weed (look at his feet)

The plants are in the ground, we can hardly wait to see the “fruits of our labor”. 

We hope the fruits of your labor are many and greatly appreciated.

Don Ford

 

*        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *

 

The following is a Comment (sermon) by,                 Don Ford

 

                Planting a garden isn’t like working at a job. You are rewarded each time you visit the garden with either exercise such as pulling weeds, or the vision of “your” garden growing in the sun.

Picking fruit or vegetables from the garden and then either eating them or sharing them with others is an excellent personal reward. I, believe, it is a blessing for you. 

                Gardening is a personal gratification, which is sometimes missing in life. 

                Whether we are;            

The teacher or the student,

The boss, or the employee,

                The parent or the child,

                Husband or wife,

We may get so involved in daily life that we feel we are not appreciated, and we may forget to appreciate others. Take a moment and think about how often “you”, show your appreciation to others.

?              !              ?              !              ?              !              ?

 

I believe you most often, “get what you give”.

If you want to be appreciated, appreciate others.

I have noticed that we often show appreciation or say thank you to someone we have just met. Why do we often forget to be grateful to those we are around daily?

 

Sometimes the spouse, the boss, the parent, the child, the friend or relative has so much to do that they forget to say thank you for all you have done; could that be you? 

 

The sermon is over and I want you to know, even though I don’t say it enough, “I appreciate you”.

 

No comments: