Translate

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Spring has sprung 04.05.14

 

                Yesterday I spent most of the day on my knees. Yes I was praying that she would allow me to stop working and come into the house.

                Spring in Texas is that magical time between it is too cold to go outside and it is too hot. Spring lasts a week or two, so one must use the time wisely. Retired people must make the most of this time. Being on a fixed income we are unable to afford to hire someone to work in the yard, which means we must do any work ourselves.

                I mowed all the weeds in the ditch behind the house. I did not want to use the mower because I did not know what might be hiding in the tall grass and weeds so I used the weed eater which takes longer. I found the remains of what looked to have been a rabbit, the wings of a dove and I accidently killed two rattle-head copper-moccasins (aka grass snakes).

                I loaded my trailer on my trailer just to get it out of the way. (Small trailer that I pull behind the motor cycle loaded on my larger utility trailer.)

I removed about 30 each 16 inch by 16 inch cement blocks each weighing close to 50 pounds. These blocks were at one time level and placed on the ground where the play house sat. Over the years the tree roots have moved and pushed up blocks to a point of being un-level and ugly.

I made a hopscotch out of some of the cement blocks.

I attached the basketball goal to the kid’s fort which also got it out of the way.

I then enlarged the blackberry bed by 300%. This is where I spent most of my time on my knees. The bed went from 2’ X 2’ to 4’ X 4’. Removing the grass by hand and then digging a trench to insert the cement border in, was a lot of work. I was, and am tired.

Today (Saturday) I observed a male Grackle strutting around with his wings and tail feathers spread, making all kinds of noise attempting to influence the female who seem to be ignoring him. That is a sure sign of spring, the male trying to influence the female and she doesn’t care.

My present wife and I plan to go out to supper tonight to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Yep, on April 5, 1969 I married my first wife. It is remarkable that anyone could stay married to me that long. I think we have stayed married that long because she has learned to ignore me.

We are going to an expensive restaurant which may take all of our savings, if you want to send donations (suggested amounts are $25.00 and $50.00) to The Ford Homestead they will be greatly appreciated. I don’t want to see my wife picking up aluminum cans on the side of the highway again while I drive behind her in the pickup.

I hope you are in a giving mood

(suggested amounts are $25.00 and $50.00)

 

Don Ford

 

No comments: