Translate

Friday, April 11, 2014

Short ride Supper... 04.10.14

 
                Thursday morning I was considering riding out to the Bunk House for lunch when I received an email asking if anyone wants to do a short ride and have supper. That sounded better to me so I replied in the positive.
                The plan was formulated via email and we began the execution by meeting at the Flying J truck stop at 6:00pm. After the politically correct greetings were issued, it was decided to head south with Jason as the lead rider.
As we were getting ready to mount the bikes Jason found a penny that was heads up next to my motorcycle. He grabbed the penny and refused to allow me, a senior who is on a fixed income and who needs all the good luck I can get, to have the penny. It was closest to my bike so it should have been mine. J
                The weather partly cloudy and very windy. Our ride was nice, we kept to the speed limit and I enjoyed the scenery. Not having ridden much in the last few months I notice the helmet seemed to bother me some and I found myself adjusting how I was setting. These conditions do not affect riders who ride more often than I do.
                As we slowed on our approach to an intersection out in the middle of nowhere I observed a large owl sitting on a power line. Actually he seemed to be clinging to the line as the wind was blowing violently. It was about 6:45pm and not close to being dark. I surmised this owl was a senior citizen and could not see as well after dark so he was hunting during day light hours (I could be wrong).
                We observed a 1963 Chevy parked in some ones yard. This old vehicle was a 4 door hard top and the emblem indicated it was a 327 cubic inch (that is the motor size). In the olden days the term “two door hard top” or “four door hard top” meant there was no post between the body and top when the windows were rolled down.  I had a 1963 Chevy, two door hard top, 409 cubic inch, 4 speed, SS. 
                We arrived at the bar/café (I have no idea of how to spell the café’s name, so I will not try) in the middle of a lot of farm land. I was impressed by the lady that served us. She wasn’t pretty but she was good at her job.  She is one of those people that actually seem to enjoy her work. I enjoy being around people that present the image of enjoying their work.
                We appreciated (I used the word enjoy/ing three times in the above paragraph so I didn’t want to use it again) conversing before and after the food.
                Our ride home was uneventful and not as much fun as the ride down due to the darkness. Riding in the dark on rule roads requires a rider to be focused on the bar ditches for deer and other animals that could wonder into your path.
                I assume there will be a question as to, “what is a bar ditch”.  The bar ditch is the ditch alongside of the road where many people end up after an evening at the bar.
                I am going to try to attempt to not indulge in tea when eating out on the rides. A very large glass of tea or two, seems to have an inordinate amount of caffeine, which keeps me from going to sleep after the ride.
                Different subject:
                I trimmed the shrubs behind the house this morning. I wish I could say the shrubs looked good but they look kind of shabby. The shabby look is not due to my trimming abilities, everyone knows I am a master trimmer, but due to the winter weather.
                I had to water the garden yesterday since a few of the plants were looking a little wilted. All the plants had perked up by this morning.
That is it from the Ford Homestead of Hewitt.
 
Have a warm enjoyable weekend.
 
Don Ford 
 

No comments: