Translate

Monday, December 2, 2013

The Angel 12.02.13

               First I would like to say good morning from everyone at The Ford Homestead.  We have survived the Thanksgiving holiday and are now on our way (halfheartedly) to the Christmas holiday. As I think about it my previous article, “Electric Sex” it was a prelude to Christmas.

               It is usual and customary for The Ford Homestead to have their Christmas decorations up prior to Thanksgiving. That did not happen this year, although we were able to get most of the outside decorations up the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

               Having been in Logistics for many years and not wanting to waste energy by double working, I planned ahead in an attempt to position our decorations and supplies for the Saturday effort.

Friday morning I moved all the decorations from the shed placing those that the weather would not affect, against the fence near the garage for easy access Saturday. The items in cartons were placed strategically in the back of my pickup. This gave us easy access Saturday with much less effort.   

               Friday afternoon I mowed the front yard. I was actually attempting to remove the leaves more than mow but both were accomplished. 

               When I completed these chores and prior to a needed shower and nap, I said to myself, “nice job Don”.  I occasionally need to pat myself on the back since others may not notice my valuable effort.

               Saturday morning came and we began the task. Of course we had to check all the lights to verify that they are working prior to putting them up. My job is placing the so called ice sickles lights along the roof edge across the front of the house. This requires me to climb up and down the ladder many times. The climbing can be good exercise and has a tendency to make sore muscles the next day.

               I was also allowed to install the lights that border the flower beds across the yard. This process required me to crawl on my hands and knees to install the lights. Each light had a plastic stake attached which is pushed into the ground.

               Other jobs I was allowed to do include taking empty cartons back to the shed along with sweeping up.

               A large portion of the work was completed on Saturday. I should also note that this may have been the first time we were not working in bad weather conditions. Usually the weather is cold, windy and or drizzling rain when these decorations are put up.

               My spouse of 44 years asked where the Angel was. My response was, “I don’t know”. There should be a small angel possible 16 inches tall that is hung over the manger scene. It was not there. I went back to the shed to see if possibly I had over looked it. It was not there. I must say my first wife was not a happy camper.

               Sunday afternoon the process was resumed with more light checking and decoration placement. I did get to put a star on the top of my flag pole this year.

Not being satisfied that I had properly looked through the shed my present wife of 44 years allowed me to remove all the empty cartons, the lawn mower, a tiller, the wheel barrel and assorted other items. After careful review her comment was, “I don’t know how you could have lost the Angel”.

               Monday morning I went outside to put the trash cart on the curb and I noticed a pile of greenery and red plastic berries on the floor. I, wanting to help keep the area clean, put them in the trash cart and took the cart to the curb.

               About 5 minutes after the trash truck ran my spouse of 44 years asked where the greenery was. I immediately knew something was wrong. I explained that I had put them in the trash. She explained in very clear terms that the pile was not trash; instead it was greenery she would have used inside the house.

               The project, although still not complete, should be finished before the cold weather again arrives this Thursday. No we never found the Angel (people will steal anything).

 

When it is complete I will attempt to post a photo.

 

I hope you have an uneventful day.

 

Don Ford 

 

 

No comments: