Translate

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Never knew what hit him 120313

               Good morning all, I hope you are well and living the good life.
               Today’s article has to do with death. You are correct; this is not a fun subject but one that occasionally should be presented.
               I assume most of you have heard the term, “Sudden Death Syndrome”. Today my lecture is on the subject, “Causes of Sudden Death is this nature’s way”. I am sure that some may be shocked but if one reads the entire article one should learn.
*             *             *             *             *             *             *             *             *             *             *
                    Prior to beginning the lecture I would like to deviate to a slightly different subject.
Today, as every day, I took Gabi to school and Alex went along for the ride. After dropping Gabi off at school Alex and I began the journey home.  I was driving and Alex was in the back seat (I find it better if I drive as Alex is just 3.5 years old). It was very quiet in the vehicle so I started snapping my fingers to break the silence.
Alex said, “Stop Papa, that makes my ears dead”. The somewhat surprising comment caught my attention.
Just to be sure I understood, I asked, “snapping my fingers make your ears dead” to which he replied, “Yes”.
                    Alex went on to say, “I have batteries in my ears and the noise makes them dead”.
                    Naturally I was somewhat surprised to learn that he has batteries in his ears, so I asked, “can you put new batteries in your ears?
                    Alex responded, “I have tools so I can put the batteries in my ears”.
                    Fascinated I asked, “Are your tools at home?”
                    Alex explained, “I have some tools in my pocket”.
                    That was the end of the conversation.
I would like to point out that discussions similar to that are not unusual between Alex and me. I just thought I had an imagination, Alex’ far exceeds mine dramatically. 
*             *             *             *             *             *             *             *             *             *             *           
 
               Back to the lecture:
               Yesterday as I was walking out to the shed behind my house I observed that some of the trees in the neighborhood have lost most if not all of their leaves. My thought process went along the line of; I wish some neighbors would keep their leaves in their yard.
               I noticed the people behind and to the left of my house were unloading firewood and stacking it near their fence.
               At that moment it happened. Something caught my attention as it was falling from the sky at a very fast rate of speed. Everything happen so fast it was difficult to comprehend what I was seeing.
I heard the wings of a large Hawk flapping as they were impacting some of the smaller tree limbs. Never stopping, this large hawk was flying away with a bird in his grasp.
The impact of the hawk with the small bird caused many small bird feathers to rain down on the ground. 
               If that isn’t, “sudden death” I don’t know what is. Even though one does not want to see the smaller bird die, it is nature’s way.
               I have seen hawks catch rabbits from a field but this was the first time to see a hawk take a bird from a tree.
 
Have a friendly day.
 
Don Ford 
 

No comments: