Translate

Monday, July 15, 2013

It Never Fails.

            First, allow me to start by saying I was opposed to it from the beginning. I knew this would happen and it has. I can’t understand why others do not listen to me.

            For those of you who are fortunate enough to live in Texas, you should already know that it has been hot. When I say hot I mean, “Hotter than Hell”, with day time temperatures exceeding 100 on a regular basis. It would often cool down to 80 at night, obviously not providing any relief. 

            My wife of 44 years who has a birthday tomorrow wanted me to get the kids swimming pool out of the shed and put it in the back yard so the kids could swim.

            To the person that doesn’t have to get the pool out of the shed, put air in it then fill it with expensive water (you know I am on a fixed income) you don’t understand all the effort it takes to erect the “kids pool”.

            It was Saturday about noon; I had just finished my sandwich and was sitting in the house watching TCM (Turner Classic Movies) when my youngest son arrived. Dave had come over to help get the pool out and install it in the back yard. I commented on the fact that it was already 100 degrees and we would have to move items around in the shed to get to the pool. I could not discourage Dave so we went outdoors into the sweltering heat. I was happy that we have a few trees in the back yard to provide some shelter from the sun (AKA shade). 

            We removed some items from the shed including three saws that we had been storing for Dave. The pool, pump and tarps were all in a hamper; we did not need to search for anything. I took the air compressor and an extension cord from the shed to inflate the pool ring. All in all it only took about 30 minutes to get it ready to insert the water.

            Dave began picking up the tools and we returned everything to its proper resting place in the shed, except for Dave saws which we loaded onto my pick up. Removal of the table saw provides needed room in the shed. Now “I don’t have to go outside the shed to change my mind”. (That was a joke just in case you didn’t get it and if you need me to explain you can send me a comment and I will be happy to explain the so called joke.)

            I finished filling the pool later in the day and at about 9:00pm after the sun had gone down and most of the neighbors would not be watching I proceeded to the pool and got in. The water was just the right temp. I would have stayed in the pool longer but I finished my drink.

            What? You want to know what the above has to do with the heading “It Never Fails”?  Don’t be so impatient; I can’t believe how rude some people are interrupting a senior citizen telling a story.

            All the above occurred on Saturday:

A little back ground for those of you who are meteorology challenged; the summer solstice occurred June 21st and the days are getting shorter indicating that Fall and Winter are on their way. That also indicates cool temperatures that are not conducive to swimming. 

            Sunday, (the first full day for the pool to be in operation) it began to rain. There was light rain all day with a total of ¼ inch of rain. The day time high temperature was 75.

Sunday night it rained all night accumulating and extra 2.75 inches of precipitation for a total of 3 inches.  

Monday morning it is still raining and the high today is expected to be in the mid-70s.

It never fails, you try to have an outdoor activity for the grandkids which involved hot weather and the cold front arrives with rain.

Rain, rain go away, come again some other day, little Donnie wants to play. 

 

In all honesty we have needed this rain and we are thankful for the rain and cool temps.

 

We hope you have an outstanding day and wonderful week.

 

Don Ford

No comments: