Translate

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

An Overnight Surprise!

               It is true that there are often surprises here at the Ford Homestead, so we have decided to let you, “a non-Homesteader” in on what was a true overnight surprise to us all.

               This particular surprise was even a surprise to my constant companion, Tejas. He had indicated that he had lifted his leg at this particular area just the day before and had not noticed any change in the backdrop.

               My spouse of 44 years and both grandkids was standing near the surprise, more or less in awe of the beauty, when they were cruelly attack by fire ants. This seemed odd to me as I had earlier in the day spread fire ant killer (over & out) on the front and back yards. I actually purchased the product from the local Lowes as they had a better price than Do it Best Corp.

               The grandkids wanted to swim and that is why we were in the back yard and near the surprise. I have a photo that I will post below of the surprise in all its glory.

               I find it interesting that these plants which are known as, “Surprise Lilly’s”, are truly a surprise when you see them.

How can something this tall and pretty just pop up overnight. I assume it has something to do with the 4 inches of rain we had over a several day period of time.

For that one unusual person that is looking to see where Tejas had lifted his leg, you are a weird duck for even thinking about that.  

The heavy rain, afore mentioned in this article, has had a negative effect on our 4-oclocks (aka “O’clocks” as they bloom at various times daily) have become too heavy and are bending over into our walk way.

               I thought you might enjoy the below photo. These flowers bloom in the morning and the blooms are gone by late afternoon.

 

I am still working on the Queen Anne Desk and I have completed 2/3s of the project. The bottom and the mid-section that has the drawers and desk are now complete. I have stained the top portion which is the Hutch and have begun the varnishing of the hutch. Varnishing is very difficult as it dries so quickly. I will post photos of the process if I am able to complete the project and if it isn’t too embarrassing.

 

I hope you have an excellent and healthy day!

 

Don Ford

 

No comments: