Translate

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Rattle Head Copper Moccasin

               Yes there is a new hybrid poisons snake which I have identified and named, “Rattle Head Copper Moccasin”. This extremely aggressive snake was discovered at the Ford Homestead in Hewitt, Texas as I was preparing to work in the yard. In the photo we see a young “Rattle Head Copper Moccasin” which is about 12 inches long. This reptile could grow to 4 feet in length.
It could be a grass snake.
The work I needed to do is to mow the jasmine and remove the red mulch after which I would like to loosen the bare dirt to accommodate spread and growth of the jasmine.
Below we can see the mowed jasmine to about 4 inches. 
I found numerous acorns on the ground around the roots of the plants. These acorns are very difficult to get out due to the vines making it almost impossible to use a rake.
 
I have discovered two new tools in the process of cleaning up the yard. Being a senior citizen I attempt to use as little energy as possible when working in the yard or anywhere else. The trash can lying on its side is very helpful (the flat sided trash can is retired from kitchen duty).              
After raking or sweeping leaves or other debris into a pile, place a trash can flat side down near the pile. Using a broom or other tool you can push the debris into the open container. This keeps the senior (me) from needing to bend over as many times.
 
The second tool that a wise senior can use is, “The Grandchild”. I have noticed that Alex will help me with any yard work but if his sister is present (this week is spring break and she is home) the amount of work produced by him is greatly reduced.
 
After picking up the leaves, red mulch and acorns I mowed the front yard. Even though we received 1.5 inches of rain last week the ground is very dry so I had to water.
Am I done? Know way, but I am taking today off (the Lord rested on the Sabbath, [seventh day] so I am resting on the fourth day).
I hope you have nice week.
 
Don Ford
 
 

1 comment:

Mary said...

Ewww, I would not work in your yard if there was the chance of running into your new hybrid snake!
Love the trash can idea. Even though I am not a senior citizen yet, I can't bend down anymore!