Translate

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

What kind of pie? Mud Pie

            Yes this mud pie does look appetizing, but it is not one of my creations.


               The photo shows a mud pie made by my granddaughter and although it may look similar to what I made for supper two nights ago it is not my creation.
               This wonderful looking pie started me thinking about what I might want to prepare for our evening repast.
               I have learned that having a neat well groomed yard restricts the ingredients available for my soup and salad supper. I don’t like to do it but I sneak into my neighbor’s yards to collect various ingredients.  I can get the freshly mowed grass from my yard, which I use in both my soup and salad. I get the dandelions come from the neighbor three houses down. Most of the people in the neighborhood work during the day so it is not too difficult to pick the necessary greens from many yards. From the ditch behind our house I am able to pick some wild garlic.
               A main ingredient for the soup is grubs and these I have to dig up. Grubs are very delicious when boiled or grilled and have a lot of proteins.
To add some spicy heat to the soup we add one and a half cups of fire ants.  These spicy little creatures have a jalapeno flavor. They are not difficult to find but can be a “real pain” when collecting them from the ant bed. 
Leaves from the pecan tree are very tasty and have a nice crunch. They are used in both the salad and the soup. I have tried the oak leaves but they are somewhat bitter and don’t have a crunch. 
You can use crushed acorns in the soup which add a little color.  We crush the acorns by placing them in the street and as the cars drive over them they get crushed. The problem with this method is the darn squirrels will try to steal the crushed acorns.
For the desert we take a nine inch pie pan and place clean mud in it. Clean is defines as having no sand. Mix in a lot of ground blooms from a honeysuckle to provide some sweetness. To make the mud pie more appealing to the eye, top the pie with yellow or pink rose buds.
No road kill was used in the above soup and salad; the grand kids are allowed to help in the kitchen.

From the fixed income mind of    Don Ford 

All right reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.


                                                                                                                 
                  

No comments: