Translate

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

This is the 100th posting

            It has been 6 months since I started posting articles on the blog and I have enjoyed the process.


               Alex and I have established a morning ritual of going out the door with his mom as she is going to work and then we sit in our chairs, me drinking my coffee and Alex has a yogurt smoothie. I haven’t tasted the smoothie but they smell odd.
This morning Alex and I were sitting in the chairs on the drive way near the garage door discussing why his mom and dad had to go to work. Tejas our amigo came up to put his two cents worth in remarking, if mom and dad did not work, Alex could not have all those nice toys. I tried to keep toys out of the conversation but you know how Tejas is, always thinking about fun and playing.              
               Alex asked what I was going to write about in my 100th posting.  I did not have a good answer so I decided to write about grasshoppers.
               You are correct, grasshoppers have nothing to do with the 100th article but they do have something to do with riding motorcycles. 
               Sunday morning I decided to go for a short ride trying to have a little fun and returning home before it got to hot. I only rode for about an hour and a half before it began to get too hot.
               As I was riding on a nice stretch of highway this big fat grasshopper hit the center of my windshield, let’s call him “Dead Fred”.
As you can imagine Dead Fred made a big splash on the windshield.  There were wings, eye balls and yellow juice all over the center of my clean windshield. 
Yes, I had cleaned the windshield before I left the house and now it was soiled with the remains of once happy and free Dead Fred the grasshopper.
               As I looked through the windshield with Dead Fred’s remains, a thought came to mind; “I bet he doesn’t have the guts to do that again”.            
What, you don’t see the joke in that quote?  He doesn’t have the guts because they are spread on the windshield.
Some people just don’t have a sense of humor.  

Another comment about grasshoppers; have you ever been hit in the shin with a full grown grasshopper at 70 mph.  Well, I am here to tell you I have and it doesn’t feel good. It is kind of like being hit with a rock in the shin except a rock doesn’t usually leave guts on your pant leg.
Speaking of flying insects; there was another time when I was riding with some other bikers (we like to call ourselves bikers, it makes us feel important and mean) and there was a swarm of bees flying across the road.  I could see riders in front of me doing odd things when someone said, “Bees”, on the CB radio.  I ducked in behind the windshield and splattered several bees but did not get stung. I was glad I had my CB on.

Changing the subject, I tried to get a photo of that little rabbit that hangs out in our back yard driving Tejas crazy.  As I was watering yesterday evening late, the rabbit came out of the brush pile in the neighbor’s yard and sat there watching me water the plant. Now that I think of it he may have wanted a drink.
I tried to get a photo with the camera in my cell phone but it was too dark.  If I would not have washed the supper dishes (I volunteered and was not forced to wash them this time) I would have been outside earlier and there would have been more light and I could have shown you a photo of the little guy. 

Noticed I use the word “if”.  My mom would reply to us kids when we would use if in a comment, “if the dog wouldn’t have stopped to pee, he would have caught the rabbit”.

On another subject, I would like to thank everyone who sent donations to “The Ford Homestead Foundation, earmarked for Don’s birthday”. These donations will help in so many ways providing me with a well-deserved birth day present.  Today I am officially old.

I hope you have enjoyed at least a few of the articles; I have enjoyed putting them together.
Thank You

For the 100th time and from an unusual mind of    Don Ford 

All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.


                                                                                                                 
                  

No comments: