Translate

Monday, August 20, 2012

Electric from the sun...

Solar panels give you electric from the sun, but it isn’t free…

               Below is a solar panel, it is in my yard. It does in fact provide electricity from sun light. As you can see there are three panels mounted side by side, each panel produces 15 watts for a total of 45 watts. I plan to use this panel to charge a battery/s.  With a power inverter I can then         
Convert battery power into 120 volts which can power regular house type appliances. I have run a couple fans on the sun power and later the vacuum cleaner.

               A few years back when I was into Amateur radio (aka Ham Radio) I was also into amateur TV.  Yep, Hams do a lot of different types of communication. Here in Waco there were several amateurs who transmitted TV signals. We would get on at various times and basically one operator would transmit video and audio while others would watch.  Then another would transmit and so on.  I still have the equipment but it is in storage.
Ham radio is not an inexpensive hobby.  I kept track for the first couple years of everything I purchased. I stopped tracking at $5,000.00.  I had a job then and was not on a fixed income.  
There was a fellow that I talked to via radio (20 meter) in California who bragged about having a solar powered Ham Radio station. He said all his radio equipment was powered by batteries that were charged by solar panels.  He also explained that all his radio equipment was mounted on a work bench and the bench was on casters. His reason for this was “earth quakes”. He explained that when the quake shook the house the bench would just roll around and the equipment did not fall off.

               What, you have a question? As always I will be happy to enlighten you. It is part of the challenge/responsibility of having a blog, which I voluntarily accept.
Yes I have a call sign it is “KJ5OD”.
Free electricity is not close to being true.  The solar panel must be purchased, a power inverter, and a battery.
               I would like to have the panel be somewhat portable and I am planning on mounting the panel on the side of the shed.
               It is a project that should keep me busy for a few days; ok I work slow so it may take a month or more.

From the electrified mind of                        Don Ford

All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.


                                                                                                                 
                  

No comments: