Translate

Friday, August 17, 2012

Don't Know, Don't Care

                        Today’s youth just don’t understand …




               The morning started out as usual, I had made my coffee and bowl of cereal, I was sitting at my favorite computer ready to greet the on slot of new email.

               Actually most of the email I receive is advertisements and other spam. That word, “spam” brings up another subject; why would the computer world use a word that describes a delicious meal, a meal that many of us retired people who have a fixed income have learned to love. Span is the state meal of Hawaii. 

I want to suggest that everyone refer to junk email as Baloney.

               Before you ask, yes I do have two computers. The first is this computer I use most often located in what use to be my office. The second is by my chair in the front room which was a gift from the company I use work for.  They decided that if they gave me something, I might be talked into leaving.  I guess it worked.

That brings up another subject.  When I retired from DIB they gave me a certificate which was worth $10.00 for each year I had worked.  My certificate was worth $400.00 which was very nice (40 X $10.00 = $400.00). The certificate is for purchase at DIB.  I purchased a walk behind mower.

               Shortly after I left they increased the amount from $10.00 per year to $50.00 per year. Now if a person retires with 40 years of service they would receive a $2,000.00 certificate. If I had received the new amount I would have purchased a nice riding mower. Old retired people need riding mowers.

Another way to look at this; if a person works there 8 years and retires they would get the same amount as I received. The $50.00 per year amount is a nice increase and helps the newly retired person who is probably on a fixed income, make the jump into retirement. 

Back to this morning’s events; Gabi and Alex were going into the back yard to play so I asked Gabi, “What are you going to play”. She didn’t know so I suggested cowboys.  I said, “You can act like you are robbing a stagecoach”. 

Gabi had an odd expression and asked, “What’s a stagecoach”.  I guess kids now days don’t get to see the old time cowboy movies.

How can kids have any fun without shooting each other with a stick gun?

Think about it for a moment; those old cowboy shows must have had too much violence in them for kids. The cowboy would get shot and fall down but there was never any blood or guts. Most TV shows now days are more violent and show the blood, guts and brains of the victims. 

Gabi and Alex ended up playing a non-violent version of roadrunner and the coyote.

From the old time cowboy mind of                           Don Ford 

All rights reserved; any reproduction of distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.

No comments: