Translate

Monday, June 4, 2012

Smoking

Memorial Day in North Carolinian had good weather, plenty of food, swimming and friends.

               This area of North Carolinian has a high concentration of military people. Camp Lejeune is there and so naturally there are military people and families everywhere.  We have Fort Hood that is about 60 miles from here and even though it is the largest military reservation in the free world, there it is not as far-reaching military affect here in the Hewitt area.
               The weather was very good on Memorial Day, maybe a little warmer than I would have liked but still a nice day. I am not sure how many people were at the party but I estimate 30 plus were in attendance. The kids took to the pool along with several of the adults. At one point when I glanced at the pool, I thought that of a traffic jam. The pool seemed to me to be at capacity.
               Something I noticed during our visit was the number of people who smoked.  As I think about it, most of the people I know do not smoke. A person smoking around me is ok but I was not use to seeing so many smokers in one place. I wonder if there are more smokers there, or maybe I just don’t get out enough to know how many smokers there really are around here.
               I was talking to one of the young ladies that smoked and I asked how much cigarettes cost. She explained that they could be purchased for $4.00 a pack at one local store but if you have to buy them else where they were about $6.00 a pack.
If a person smokes a pack a day and the cost is $4.00 per pack;
·       $28.00 per week
·       $120.00 per month
·       $1,460.00 per year
If a person smokes a pack a day and the cost is $6.00 per pack;
Ø  $42.00 per week
Ø  $180.00 per month
Ø  2,190.00 per year
If a person smokes more than a pack a day the cost increases. What other items could be purchased with the money spent on tobacco.  
I understand how addicting tobacco can be as I am a “recovering nicotine addict”. I used chewing tobacco for many years but I have not had any for about 9 years now.
I remember one time when I had quit using tobacco; my wife and I were coming out of a restaurant after eating supper. It had been about a week since I had quit using tobacco.
For those of you who have never use tobacco, you will not understand how strong the desire to have a nicotine fix is, after you eat. 
It was dark and the parking lot lights were not on. I said to my wife, “I wish someone would try to mug me, I would really like to hurt someone right now”.  When a person has quit tobacco they have a lot of feeling; one of those feeling for me was anger. 
For those of use that have used or still use tobacco, we understand how good the nicotine fix can be. Nicotine will give you a lift when you need it, it will help you relax when you need to. No wonder it is so addictive.
               I guess I am preaching now but I know it doesn’t do any good to try to talk people out of using tobacco. The only way a person can or will quit is when “they decide for them self that they want to quit”. A nicotine addict will get mad when you try to tell them they should quit. A nicotine addict will not quit for their spouse, kids, parents or anyone else. It is a personal decision and you cannot make it for them.  
               I am not meaning to upset any tobacco user in this statement, although I do think people should not use tobacco.

From the nicotine free mind of    Don Ford

All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.

                                                                                                                 
                  

1 comment:

Mary said...

Excellent thoughts. I've smoked an occasional cigarette in my younger days, thank God I never got addicted. Can't stand to even be around smokers. Now for the large number of smokers in North Carolina...that's where it's grown..of course everyone is gonna smoke. Nothing more disgusting than going into the pizza hut on the Outer Banks and everyone is smoking!