Translate

Monday, June 11, 2012

100 use to be good

When I was in school (yes I went to school, will you save you questions until the end) a 100 on a test meant you answered all the questions correct.  You are correct; I did not receive a lot of scores of 100. 


               As I was sitting in my favorite chair contemplating many topics like, “why is sugar sweet and salt not”, I noticed something. It was a rabbit across the street hopping around in the neighbor’s yard.  Have you noticed how rabbits and birds are not afraid of each other? 
Ok, you are right, I was not the first to notice the rabbit, it was my amigo Tejas. But I was quickly aware of the rabbit and that stared both of us thinking.  We had different thoughts about the rabbit as you may have guessed. I wanted to invite him over for lunch; my lunch, while Tejas thought about the lack of other furry creatures in the neighborhood.
Tejas is very observant and has noticed over the last month or so, the squirrels that use to be in the neighborhood have gone. We don’t know if they decided to leave us for a more upscale community or if one of the neighbors is eradicating them. Whichever it is, we have not seen a squirrel form over a month.
I just thought; having no squirrels is another blessing (referring to an earlier posting). Tejas indicated he misses them.
When we were in North Carolina I noticed the squirrels were smaller than the squirrels are in Texas. Do you think the old saying is true; everything is bigger in Texas?
I took a cup of coffee outside to enjoy the morning’s cool temp and was greeted by my neighbor mowing his yard. I waved a greeting to him but he was too intent on looking at the mower and did not return my greeting. I assume he did not intend to break the unwritten 8:00 am rule, but it is supposed to get very hot as this day progresses and that is why he did it.
What? You don’t know what the 8:00 am rule is. I thought everyone knew about the 8:00 am rule.
Oh, OK, for those of you who live in a gated community, with a home owners association that provided your entire yard work for you, I will explain.
I am kind of happy that my old leaf blower broke again and this time I was unable to wire it back together. In the instructions that came with my new Weed Eater brand of leaf blower was the 8:00 rule.
My new leaf blower is easy to start and I run it at half speed to do the same work of the old blower at full speed.
Ok, back to the 8:00 rule.  You should not run any power equipment before 8:00am as a courtesy to your neighbors. Not everyone gets up early and the motor of the equipment might wake them.
Today may be the first day we hit 100 degrees, but 100 in the instance will not be perfect. It is still officially spring in Texas, even though is hasn’t felt like it for several weeks now.
I believe 80 degrees would be a perfect score for me today.

From the overheated brain of                     Don Ford

All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited




No comments: