Translate

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mailman

Is it correct to say Mailman if the person who delivers your mail is a Man, or should we say mail delivery persons? What is it with dogs and mailmen.
I like a cup of coffee in the afternoon so I just made some hot water in my coffee maker and got the instant coffee out. Now I would be the first to say instant coffee is not real good but if you want one cup then I guess it has to do. My lovely wife of 43 years had some coffee cake in the kitchen so I am having a piece with my instant coffee. 
               Why didn’t I go to Starbucks and get a cup? I will be happy to tell you; “It cost too much”. Gas is $3.50 a gallon and it would take $1.25 in gas, the tall coffee with cream is $1.79, and a fresh oatmeal raisin cookie would be $2.49. That is a total of $5.53 that I don’t have to spend. Retired people on fixed income have to watch their pennies.
               Today is Friday and it started out real gloomy. It looked like rain but the weather people said it would not rain so I knew I could start mowing the yard. My doctor doesn’t want me to be in the sun unless I have long sleeves or sun block. The clouds made it a perfect day to work in the yard (I wish my neighbors would). My side kick and I got the mower and weed eater out, I had to syphon gas from the motorcycle for the mower. No; I did not syphon the gas because of the cost, it is easier than going to the gas station. I trimmed the front yard and then mowed it in lines from the street to the house. That provides the first cut on the yard sitting it up for the second cut mowing in lines parallel to the street.  Yes it is actually cutting the front yard twice but it looks nice and it doesn’t take too long. I was almost finished when shy cleared and the sun began to shine.  Out came the long sleeved shirt for the last 10 minutes.
               One nice thing about mowing this morning there was no wind to speak of which meant the pollen was not so bad.  I got the leaf blower and began to clear off the driveway, walk and street in front of the house. I don’t know if this happen to you or not, as soon as I get the blower out the wind picks up and it always blows in the opposite direction I want to blow the grass clippings. A few minutes later I was ready for a break.  I usually listen to Rush for a while each day. Cape Girardeau, Missouri is not only known for being the home town of Don Ford, Rush Limbaugh also lived there.
               My sidekick did not want to come in so I left him outside. He is good about staying in the garage or near the garage door even though the garage door is open.  Also I can watch the drive way from a security camera. There is also a motion detector alarm that lets me know if anyone is in the drive.  I was taking a break listening to Rush when I see the mailman in the yard. I see Tejas quickly moving toward him. Tejas and the mailman are buddies and the mailman often stops to talk to us and pet Tejas. I went out to see what was going on. He said he saw Tejas laying in the shade but did not see me.  He thought we may not know Tejas was out. 
               This mailman likes dogs and he knows them by name. This is one mail man that probably never has been bitten by a dog.
               After the break I went into the back yard to mow. There is a lot of shade in the back yard so the long sleeved shirt is not too hot. I finished the yard work about 1:30 and it was time for a shower. After the shower I decided to turn on the TV to a boring show and get in my recliner for a short “retiree Nap”. The nap was a little longer than usual, about 45 minutes, it could have been longer if the phone had not rang.
               My coffee and cake is now inside me so I guess I had better close this note.
Have a good week end, rest, be nice to someone and allow someone to be nice to you. If you are always right like me, you might try letting the other person be right this time.

Using both the left and right side of my mind         Don Ford
All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.
                                                                                                                 
                  

No comments: