Translate

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Not a Dream 08.04.16


            Wow, what a day! I could not believe what I was experiencing as I left the shelter of the Ford Homestead for my early morning stroll. This wonderful day started with the temp in the low 70s, cool enough that one (me) is extremely comfortable, but not cool enough to require extra clothing.
This cool snap was due to the unusual rain that we had received over the last two days. I describe this rain as, “One of those old Missouri rains”, you know, it is a slow rain that continues at least one day without any lightening or wind. A rain that seems to never end, but provides life for everything outdoors.
This recent area wide rain was enough to cause the cracks in the yard to close, and the grass to begin to rejuvenate.
As I began my morning walked down the Avenue, (Oklahoma Avenue) I thought, finally an end to the heat and drought. How wonderful this coolness felt! It was then that I noticed there was no sound! There was total silence! Not a bird chirping, not a cricket cricking! Was I deaf, or had I somehow walked through a dimension in time, from one reality to an alternate reality? 
I looked around and everything appeared to be the same, but there was no sound. I could not here my own footsteps on the road. I clapped my hands several times and although I could see my hands impacting each other, there was no sound!
This is not happening to me I thought, I turned to walk back to the Homestead and there was nothing behind me! When I say nothing I mean there was nothing to be seen. There was a strange blackness, more or less a black cloud or fog. There was no avenue, no trees, no houses, just a foggy, black, silent darkness.
Should I walk into this dark alternate reality? If I do cross into this darkness, will there be anything there, or will I be trapped in what seems to be, a black fog underworld?
Possibly I should turn away from the black cloud and walk down to the end of the Avenue. Quickly I turned in an effort to go to the end of the road but there was total darkness there also!
I am now completely surrounded by this un-nerving darkness, but I am not in the darkness! It is as if I am standing in a spot light, which comes from nowhere, but provides light for me in this dark alternate dimension.
Oddly enough, I am not panicking. It is as if I have been chosen, for what, I do not know!
Suddenly I begin to here sounds. These sounds are soft and seem to be a long way off. It is an odd sound, very low in volume, somewhat like a buzzing, low tone. I notice that as the sound gets closer, and more distinct, the Darkness around me is closing in. I am almost totally engulfed in the darkness and the sound is much more distinct, it is a very low tone.
If it is a message, I can’t understand it. What is the message? Why can’t I hear it clearly? The bright light is totally gone now, why? Why am I in the total blackness? How do I…        
Suddenly it happened, the message came to me! The sound was clear now and I could see everything around me! I was not in an alternate reality, I was at home, in my bed, and Charlie the cat was laying six inches away from my face, purring loudly, telling me it was time to get up and feed the cats.
Was it a dream, an unusual dream?
                                                The End

What? You have a question? Heck I didn’t know you could read, and now you are asking questions!            
Ok, what is your question?     Aha, I see, ok, I will answer that question.
Yes it was fiction. No I did not dream that, but you might consider having an imagination as I do, and daydreaming as I write, a dream.    

If you can’t have fun, don’t do it!

Don Ford 

No comments: