Translate

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Sounds 12.13.14

 
                It was early on a December morning, the weather was a cold 36 degrees as I ventured forth to retrieve my spouse of 45 years newspaper.
                Now the term newspaper, in my considered opinion, is a misnomer. Although these articles are made from paper, they have little if any news in them. I believe it has been suggested that they be called Ad-Papers, because they are mostly advertisements.
                I found the so called newspaper laying in the grass a few feet off the side walk. Being a gentleman, I placed the paper on her recliner.
                Our cat Molly hasn’t been outside for quite a while due to the new cat, “Charley”. They haven’t become friends yet, and at this rate, may never become friends.
                Molly was standing at the door looking so pitiful that I had to offer her some time outside. Molly was hesitant at first, then she decided to go out for some fresh air. I being an excellent host, went out with her.
                The sun had not risen as of yet, so the darkness along with the freezing cold temperature made standing on the porch without a jacket almost unbearable. As you may be able to envision each time I inhaled the cold dry air would enter my body which was reducing my body’s core temperature. Each time I exhaled, the warm moist air from my lungs would make it look as if I were smoking. With each breath my old frail body was getting colder.
                During this time I became aware of the sounds around me. There was a slight noise being made each time a leaf fell from my neighbor’s tree. At first I didn’t want to believe I could hear the leaves falling. I decided to venture out to the street to be sure of what I was hearing. The leaves are small yellow leaves and they are dry. The dry leaf hitting other leaves on the ground was what I heard.
                I would like to tell you that it is my superior hearing abilities, but it was just very quiet during the morning hours.
                Something startled Molly and she ran back to the door.
                ----------------------------------------
                The same day but in the afternoon I had taken my nap and decided to go outside and pick up some acorns. Even though I have repeatedly harvested these acorns, the ground is still covered.
                During the harvesting I heard a siren which I believed to be from an ambulance due to the direction it came from. The sounds faded away and I hope that the first responders would be safe and able to help the person or people they were in route to.
                Oddly in just a short period of time I could hear what sounded like explosives from Fort Hood. We do occasionally here the reports from bombs and other explosives if the wind is just right.
                As soon as the sound of explosives had gone there was the sound of a Rocket being launched? OK, they don’t really launch the rockets at the test facility but they do test the rocket motors. This one was about a 15 second burn.
                Immediately after the rocket blast I could hear the Hewitt fire trucks making a run. There was at least two and they seemed to be heading for the interstate.
                Have you ever heard the sound of rapid small arms fire? That is the sound I heard as the fire trucks sirens were fading away. This sound was in bursts of 5 to 10 at a time with short breaks in between. The small arms fire sound was coming from about a block away. It was from and old scooter without a muffler that would not stay running.  All these sounds were somewhat like a war zone.
                It can be interesting the sounds one may hear if only we listen.
 
Below we see Molly’s nemesis, “Charley”, no not Gabi. Lazy and always hungry would define “Sorry Charley” and me.   
Gabi’s birthday is 12/13/14, she will be 8 years old.
I hope your sounds are all soft and sweet.
Don Ford               
 
 

No comments: