Translate

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Lucky but still need... 12.10.14

 
                Wow, what a night! 
                Got your interest now, don’t I? Yes I would say that my spouse of 45 years and I had an enjoyable evening at a party. You may be wondering whether going to a party is better than staying home and eating road kill, although, “Skunk Burgers” are aromatic and tasty. I believe they are best when you have a big slice of onion, dill pickles, mustard and mayonnaise.
                Going to a party where there is free food, what could be better to a person on a fixed income?
                This party was last Saturday evening at a local hotel.
 
Speaking of Saturday, I tried to pick up as many acorns as possible. In a previous article I noted that I have used a vacuum to pick up acorns.  The vacuum is especially good for those acorns that can’t be seen, you know, those that have fell through and under the grass. The vacuum finds them and pulls them out. For those that are on top I still used the nut picker upper.
I worked for several hours and recovered many of these nuts but it seems as if I have not made a dent in the acorn population. I have two photos as evidence of my effort.
   
                Above we see our trash container which is over half full of acorns. The container is so heavy, I decided to not put any additional nuts in the container for now. I will need to put some trash from the house in it for the Monday pickup.
                Below you can see a wagon load of nuts that will go in the trash container after the trash truck runs on Monday. Then I will begin again.
                Yes I do get some leaves and dead grass when I use the vacuum but they don’t weigh much.
                -------------------------------------------------
                Back to the subject at hand, “the Christmas party”. My spouse of 45 years and I went to the Do it Best Corp. Christmas party on Saturday evening. We arrived early enough to enjoy the Hors d’oeuvres (a snack served before the meal) and to talk with some of the other attendees.
We were greeted by the manager upon arrival and given a ticket for the drawings which would occur later. The party was a BYOB and we observed attendees who were bringing in anything from a bottle to a cooler. No, my spouse and I did not participate in the consumption of adult beverages.
It appeared that we were the only retirees in attendance. I have been retired for three years now and I was working in Logistics (not in the Waco Center) for a couple years before I retired. So it isn’t surprising to see people that I do not know at these events.
We found a table where the people were talkative and I would say we had a good time. After the meal was served there was a karaoke machine, and they invited anyone who thought they could, to sing.
I found it interesting that people would get up in front of the group and try to sing. I also noticed that as the adult beverages were consumed there were more people that attempted to sing. There were various people at various times making videos with their cell phones. I assume they will show the performers these videos after the effects of the adult beverages has worn off. 
There were drawings throughout the evening with various gifts being given away. I guess you could say I was lucky, I won a table saw. I picked it at the DIB center on Monday. I have put it together and it is a very nice saw.
As to the title of this article, “Lucky but still need…” the complete title should read as, “Lucky but still need money to buy wood for a project”.
If you have not donated lately there is still time to make a, “non-tax deductible donation” to “The Ford Homestead, wood for a project fund”. 
Winning the table saw, was a nice end to a funny and enjoyable evening.
 
I hope your Christmas party is/was as good as ours!
 
Don Ford
 
 

No comments: