Translate

Friday, September 20, 2013

Painting almost complete 9.20.13

               This project has proceeded better than expected. We have had three days to paint the trim on the main house at the Ford Homestead. Donna has painted the lower areas such as the post on the porch, the bench and the door.  I have painted everything that required a ladder.
               Everything has had a single coat with about 81.6% of all the trim having two coats. The rain today has stopped the painting.
Speaking of rain, there was 1.25 inches in the rain gage at 7:00 am this morning. Since that time it has rained continually and at times super hard. At 12:00 noon today the rain gage indicated 5.10 inches. That is 3.85 inches of rain in 5 hours. We need the rain but it would have been nice if the rain would have come over several days.
               As you should know, I am a retired senior citizen who doesn’t do a lot of exercising. Envision if you will how my legs, arms, back and feet felt each day when I was allowed to stop the forced labor painting of the trim.
Try carrying, placing and climbing one of three different ladders, numerous times and each time when you get to the top you must apply the paint to the proper trim without getting the paint on other wood work or falling. I did find it interesting that I felt most secure when using the extension ladder regardless of how high I was above the ground.    
               Let me show you the difference between the trim at the Ford Homestead, “pre and post painting” (that means before and after).
My spouse of 44 years liked the color red and now I like it. It wouldn’t do any good if I didn’t like it, she said paint it and I did.
 
I hope you have a colorful weekend.
 
Don Ford

No comments: